Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all -

My 4 year old male (Wesley) is a great eater and is very regular. However, he eats grass whenever he has the opportunity and sometimes appears to be clearing his throat. I am told that these are signs that he may not be properly digesting his food.

He is on Eukanuba Large Breed Lamb and Rice dry food, and has been so for quite some time. He weighs about 36 kilos (nearly 80 pounds), but he's not overweight. I've tried some other brands, particularly to try smaller kibble sizes, but his stool is best with Eukanuba. I'm concerned about moving to medium breed, as he may not get the proper nutrition for his size, although the kibble size will be smaller.

He seems fine and happy, but I worry. If anyone has any advice to offer, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
RAJ

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Dogs will sometimes eat grass when their stomachs are upset, to make themselves upchuck, and I think they'll also sometimes eat grass if they're hungry. Several of my dogs eat grass from time to time. One seemed to especially enjoy the tender little rootlets. :D

The "throat clearing"--is it coughing? If so, probably best to have the vet give your basset a once over.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a question.

My basset hound, Fred is 10mths old. I can't find the right food for him. As a small puppy, he started on Purina Puppy chow until the vet told me to take him off of it. I switched him to IAMS Smart puppy. He was eating that until the food recall, because I got a hold to a bad batch of IAMS. I switched him AGAIN to Kibbles and Bits. He ate it for a while, but it started to make him itch. Now, he is on Nutro - Natural Choice small puppy bites for sensitive stomachs and now, he has light-green soft-to-loose stools.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Soft green stools aren't normal--would suggest taking a stool sample to the vet and having the vet check him over. Once you have that part sorted out, you can take him off puppy food. Young male bassets are prone to developing panosteitis, a painful bony condition that causes lameness. This happens when they grow too fast, and high calorie puppy food may contribute to this process. Adult food or food especially formulated for large breed puppies would be better than regular puppy food at this age.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Soft green stools aren't normal--would suggest taking a stool sample to the vet and having the vet check him over. Once you have that part sorted out, you can take him off puppy food. Young male bassets are prone to developing panosteitis, a painful bony condition that causes lameness. This happens when they grow too fast, and high calorie puppy food may contribute to this process. Adult food or food especially formulated for large breed puppies would be better than regular puppy food at this age.[/b]
I'm so afraid now. This morning was the first time he has had this type of stool. Does he need emergency care? I'm so afraid for Fred.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Does he need emergency care?[/b]
Probably not, unless he seems acutely ill. But try to have him seen within the next day or two, unless his condition changes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Probably not, unless he seems acutely ill. But try to have him seen within the next day or two, unless his condition changes.[/b]
The soonest I can have him seen is Friday. I'm going to take him off of that food starting today. Do I need to let him fast for a day?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Unless that food is also on the recall list, you don't have to take him off it right away. You can wait until he's been seen by the vet. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our recently adopted rescue, Rocky, had giardia AND coccidia AND whipworm when we got him. He did have soft greenish stool at one point. It took awhile, but all 3 problems have cleared up with proper treatment. hopefully your little guy has something along these lines that is easily treated. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Our recently adopted rescue, Rocky, had giardia AND coccidia AND whipworm when we got him. He did have soft greenish stool at one point. It took awhile, but all 3 problems have cleared up with proper treatment. hopefully your little guy has something along these lines that is easily treated. Good luck![/b]
Coccidia - that's what Maggie had when she had soft green stool. (Fingers Crossed) it's gotten better now since she was treated by the vet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
My Charlie was allergic to flour and wheat, so we fed him Californa Natural Lamb and Rice from a specialty food store. I found that even the Purinas lamb and rice still had wheat in it. You might try a food with no wheat or flour. If we gave Charlie a pizza crust he would scratch all night. So check the ingredients. When we switched Charlie it was amazing. I started him on Friday night and by Sunday he wasn't itching. Brandy doesn't seem to be allergic but I am keeping her on the same food.

I would definitely take in the stool sample and see what is going on. As far as grass eating goes Brandy does it now and then, but Every spring Zip(cat) pigs out on the grass for a month then stops.
Hope all is well for Fred.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts