Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Haven't posted in a long time. Brandy my basset had an appointment to recheck about her lyme disease that was treated last fall. Well when they examined her there is mass in her back right mammary gland. I was cleaning her last week on Thursday and it wasn't there then. She is always rolling over for her belly rubs I know it wasn't there. The vet thinks it is probably cancer. Tomorrow we are going to another vet because the vet we saw today is on base (military) and they don't do surgery. We are going to have the blood work sent to them and do an x ray to check her lungs. Then as soon as possible they said either Friday or Monday we will have it removed. The sooner the better. We lost Charlie our other Basset the 26th of December. I can't loose Brandy too. She is only 6 years old and sense Charlie died she is my shadow. The base vet said the surgery had a difficult healing time. Has anyone else had this type of surgery. I am just a mess. This is the 3rd Basset that we have had and all have had something. Anna had liver cancer, and when they opened her up to see if the tumor was attached to the spleen or the liver it was on the liver. She never recuperated from the surgery. It was the worse thing I have ever had an animal go through, and I don't want this to happen to Brandy, but I have to do the surgery. Brandy is very good at the vets they had a terrible time drawing blood today over 10 pokes in legs and neck. Finally we did get blood from the juggler vein she didn't whine or anything. Charlie use to shake and whine he was terrified at the vets we would have to drag him into the building or carry him.
I tried to do a search on cancer and it came back as an error. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

stephanie

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
From this page, go to the upper right where it says Calendar/Members/Search/Help. Click on 'search', then type in cancer- this brings up quite a few links.

Hang in there, and hope for the best- please let us know how it goes-

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
From Mammary Tumors (Canine), Mar Vista Animal Hospital,
The good news, if there is some, is that approximately 50% of the tumors formed by female dogs are benign. Since one cannot tell by looking at a tumor which it is, the tumor must be removed or a part of the tumor must be sampled for biopsy.[/b]
See also
Mammary Cancer, Drs. Foster and Smith

Keeping fingers crossed for good news.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we did x rays and it looks like it is in her lungs already. That was our only hope that it wasn't in her lungs. We are going to an oconlogist but can't get in until next Tuesday. If it is spreading this fast I am not sure how she will even be by then. Her heart looks large and other things weren't where they were suppose to be.

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and Brandy. I lost the best dog in the world to mammarian cancer. It's so devastating. Try to make the best of the time you have left together.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sorry to hear your news; wishing you the best. :(

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well we did x rays and it looks like it is in her lungs already. That was our only hope that it wasn't in her lungs. We are going to an oconlogist but can't get in until next Tuesday. If it is spreading this fast I am not sure how she will even be by then. Her heart looks large and other things weren't where they were suppose to be.

Stephanie[/b]
Oh, I am keeping my fingers crossed it is not so bad as you think it might be. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm so sorry about Brandy. We lost our seven year old male, Bubba, to Lymphoma cancer on Dec. 20th, 2005, so i know the pain you are feeling . This is a terrible time for you and your family, and I will keep you and Brandy in my thoughts and prayers, and hope there will be something they can do for Brandy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI
Just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers, well thoughts etc. Brandy doesn't seem much different than normal. I have noticed she is sleeping more, and she is swallowing. The tumor hasn't gotten bigger they can get large and rupture but it seems to be staying the same so far. The oncologist officed called to make sure we still needed the appointment. One of the vets at the clinic I took her too tried to get her in sooner but that didn't work and another office didn't have a certified oncologist there, so we are still waiting for Tuesday. I had to work to day and will work tomorrow it was actually nice to get away and not think about it for a few hours. But when the oncologist office called it scared me they were going to refuse to see her. I know they may not be able to do anything the 3 different vets I have dealt with don't hold out much hope, so that is kind of telling. But my heart can't give up on her yet. My one sister and her husband are coming and we are going to paint my livingroom. So I will try not to dwell on it. I am trying to stay up beat. Brandy seemed to be staying away from me Wednesday after months of shadowing me I realized she seemed to think I was mad at her. So I had to sit down and reassure her, and played with her. She is timid and her feeling are hurt very easy. 3 ducks were in our backyard and she chased them away it was the happiest she's been in days. There had been a bunny getting in the backyard but it seems to have gotten tired of being chased and moved on.
I will let everyone know what happens Tuesday..
Stephanie

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thinking of you. I hope Tuesday brings you some hopeful news.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on Brandy.

Well things turned out better than we were expecting. Tuesday when we took her in to the oncologist she didn't see that there was cancer in her lungs. She said her lungs were busy, but that was normal for a 6 yr old. Some of the white spots were where the ribs in the x-ray crossed. So Wednesday morning I dropped her off and the tumor was removed and 4 other little masses that showed benign in the needle aspiration, but we are sending them out to make sure. She looks really bad shaved and stapled in 4 different areas. They have a pain patch on her plus she is getting a pain pill every 12 hours and 750 mg of antibiotics every 8 hours. When the Dr said she won't be happy missing her breakfast another morning I told her well she will be alive. She told me we didn't need to put her to sleep she would be okay. I am rather upset with the vets at the clinic I took her to. 2 vets looked at the x ray and went so far as to say they couldn't do the surgery because of it. But the vet did ask me to take her to the oncologist which I immediately agreed to and had the appointment before I even left the office. But it makes me sick to think if I had just took their word for it. I haven't spoke to them yet. They wanted us to let them know what the oncologist said. My husband called and canceled the appointment we made to have the tumor removed if we really wanted them to do it but she didn't think we should. We decided to stay with the experts and that is what he told them. I was very impressed and pleased with the surgeon, and the techs and the oncologist. The surgeon called me as soon as they were done on my cell as I was traveling. He told me to take my trip. I felt very confident leaving her with them. They had a cardilogist on staff in case they needed. The regular vet was concerned Brandys heart was to big. But the oncologist explained Bassets have larger hearts then most small dogs as she isn't small 66 lbs bigger than my border collie we had.
I was just so relieved I just cried when the oncologist said she didn't see anything and she doubled checked to make sure that she was looking at the right x rays, and had me point out what the other vet had seen. My husband went with me because I was thinking this was it, and I wouldn't be bring her home. I knew I couldn't do it alone. I was glad he was there so the oncologist could explain every thing to him, and he wouldn't think they were just telling me what I wanted to hear. So for now Brandy is doing okay she has to be quiet for 10 days she is pretty quiet most of the time any ways. She was rather excited when I came home today and she ate much better sense I came home. She is taking her pills with hotdogs. My husband has his watch set for every pill time.

I want to thank you for all your well wishes and thoughts.
I really believe we were given a miracle here.
I know we aren't completely out of the woods but I have faith she will be okay.

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Stephanie - that is wonderful news! Thank doG you followed through with the oncologist and found out it wasn't the cancer you feared. Fie on the vet for putting you through so much trauma!

I don't envy you keeping Brandy quiet for 10 days! Bassets dont' do quiet well.

Give her some special belly rubs from us and tell her how lucky she is to have slaves who love her so much.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Glad to hear you're having a happy holiday weekend! :) Please continue to update us.

I know what you mean about shaved and multiple incisions. One of my bassets has been through a couple of surgeries for removal of multiple (up to 12 or so) cysts, and she always looks sooo pitiful when she comes home.... :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts