Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SORRY TO GO ON AND ON ABOUT DUKE, but there is so much experience on this board...Our city's most experienced vet does not work with small animals anymore. However, he was testing cattle with my son today, who was telling him about Duke's symptoms.

He said right away, that it sounded like an allergy to him. He said not to use plastic bowls to feed the dogs. (guilty) now replaced with stainless steel.

He told Cody to tell the clinic (his clinic) on Monday to consider he could have allergies. I have been racking my brains out to think of what is new here, and can't think of anything except BO!

Anyone else on here had experience with allergies? Can you give them child size allergies meds, such as Claritin?

Sandy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not a vet, but I would think if it is an allergic reaction some antihistimine would be more appropriate. If you can't get a hold of vet, you might try talking to local pharmacist for an over the counter med and what sort of dose they might suggest. But, of course it is better to talk with a doggie vet, I'm just thinking of something after hours or on weekend that might fit the bill and be relatively safe and on point....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have given Spencer benadryl for his allergies, though it never helped that much. I would check with the vet about dosage, but Spencer is about 50 lbs & took a child's dose.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Our vet also recommends the benadryl and it can be given with the prednisone. We used much of both last winter when all the dogs were so sick. We were told 50 mg for Jake who was about 45 pounbds at that time. Because I am a wus and didn't want to make him sleepy I only gave the 25mg- I used the capsule in a treat- I would check with your vet of course but it should help-

A

·
0 Posts
Please... we WANT to know about Duke. I am glad that they think it is an allergy. I too have used benedryl at the vet's recommendation. My dogs are about 50#s and they get 50 mg. I would think the prednisone is the best bet. Is his symptoms better today? Please keep us informed. We are thinking about Duke today. yvonne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts