Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gidget's back.jpg

gidget 8-16-2016.jpg

So last year Otto fell in love with a little pit bull rescue girl at Day Care named Gidget, who totally ignored him. He would plod around after her and she would turn her body away from him as if he didn't exist. This went on for weeks, until she left.

Well, she's back, and here is poor Otto wagging his tail trying to get her attention while she still ignores him...

Love can be hard, Otto.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How odd that it's this particular bitch he's fixated on!! Does he lose condition when around her because if he does, I think I'd consider finding him another day care centre!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing about Otto : he is EXTREMELY obsessive. Much more than my last basset. He was a real challenge to train; I've learned that removing him from a situation where he's fixating on something is the best solution.

When he was a puppy, the minute his feet touched our back yard, he would put his head down and begin vacuming everything in sight- couldn't distract him from this with toys or bones or anything- he ended up at the vets with gastric problems and we started putting an Italian basket muzzle on him when we let him out. After about a year and a half he just suddenly lost interest and doesn't do it any more.

Gidget is the only dog he has ever reacted to in this way: with all other dogs he is congenial and laid back and has very good doggie social skills; in fact the folks at daycare use Otto to introduce new dogs to the play yard.

I'm thinking that Gidget may have been put on the other side of the play yard fence to keep him from stalking her.. will talk to the daycare owner Monday and if he's bothering her I will schedule him for a morning when she's not there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts