Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max has been limping on his front right leg for a few days now. At first it was just a little bit so I thought maybe he played a little rough, but it's not getting better, I think it's gotten worse. Now he won't put any pressure on it, when he is standing still he holds it up and he's just not his normal perky self. I'm going to call the vet today and see if I can get him in. I feel so bad for my poor boy; I sure hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Max has been limping on his front right leg for a few days now. At first it was just a little bit so I thought maybe he played a little rough, but it's not getting better, I think it's gotten worse. Now he won't put any pressure on it, when he is standing still he holds it up and he's just not his normal perky self. I'm going to call the vet today and see if I can get him in. I feel so bad for my poor boy; I sure hope it's nothing serious.[/b]
I am experiencing same feelings with our puppy. I have posted about the 7 wk old puppy who suddenly started having problems with hips. Keep us posted as to progress.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It's possible he has panosteitis. Both of our guys had it. Very painful for them. Crate rest and walking just to potty really helped, plus they were put on a round of Rymadil (not sure if I spelled that right). Bassets are prone to get it, they are considered a large breed dog, usually around 8 months to 16 months of age, and males seem to be more prone than females. Taking him to the vet is a wise decision. I copied the rest off Vet Centric on the internet.

Panosteitis, eosinophilic panosteitis
Panosteitis, growing pains

AffectedAnimals:
Dogs.

Overview:
Rapidly growing dogs may experience pain that arises from the long bones in the limbs. These "growing pains" are known clinically as panosteitis, a disease affecting young dogs between the ages of five to 12 months. Lameness that shifts from leg to leg is a common symptom of panosteitis. Nausea and fever may occur as well. Although the pain associated with panosteitis can be acute, this discomfort -- along with the other symptoms -- almost always goes away once the dog has matured.

Large breeds, particularly the German shepherd, are most commonly affected by panosteitis, which also is reported fairly frequently in the golden and Labrador retriever, Great Dane, Scottish terrier, and Doberman pinscher breeds.

Clinical Signs:
Long bone pain, shifting leg lameness, fever, anorexia, lethargy.

Symptoms:
Lameness that may shift from limb to limb, pain, fever, and loss of appetite.

Description:
Affecting young, rapidly growing dogs of larger breeds, panosteitis is a disease that causes inflammation in the marrow cavities of long bones such as the humerus, radius, ulna, femur, and tibia. This inflammation leads to pain and the production of reactive bone that results in lameness and sometimes fever.

Sure hope he gets better quickly. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My three all had Pano and it sounds alot like what poor Max is expericing. Copper had it worse and more often,Patty had it a couple times and Dolly only once but they were all real mopey and sad. Copper would actually shiver. I would certainly make a visit to the vet because all of mine were given something to help ease the pain and we were told to keep them quite(that was the hard part). I hope poor Max is better soon.

Healing Drool from Copper,Patty,Dolly and Nellie.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max is doing better. We never did make it to the vet. I called that morning they couldn't get him in that day, they said I could drop him off the next morning between 8 & 9 and the doctor would look at him when he got a chance to. I hate to do that, I hate leaving him there having him think I abandoned him and I also want to be there when the doctor looks at him, but I was going to do it if that's what I had to do to get him looked at. Then I went home that day and Max was doing much better, still limping but not as much and he was back to his perky self. I watched him all night and then watched him in the morning trying to decide if I needed to go or if it was healing and I could just wait. If I had an actual appointment where I didn't have to leave him like that I wouldn't of been considering not taking him but I really didn't want to leave him there all day waiting for the vet to look at him. I finally decided I better take him in, got his leash on and we walked outside and as I was walking him around the car to put him in on the other side he was trotting along just fine, no limp. I then walked him down the driveway and around a little and he never limped. After that I decided we weren't going, not today. I called the vet and told them what was happening and that I was going to wait and see how is was in a few days if I still felt he needed to see the vet I would call for an appointment, hopefully one where I can don’t' have to leave him. I like our vet a lot but he is just so busy that he doesn't have time to see you. I'm seriously considering looking for another vet, I hate to do that, we have had this vet for a long time with all our dogs but I want to be able to get in and see the vet when needed, not have to leave my dog. Is this normal for a vet, to have the animals dropped off in the morning and he sees them when he can, in-between surgeries or other appointments. We never used to have to do that, but his business has grown so much and now he just seems to have more business then he can handle. I want a vet that has the time to give us the personal attention.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Glad Max feels better. I wouldn't leave my dog at the vets either. I would want to be there when they examined him. My vets have an open surgery every morning(mon-sat) and appointments at night.I never have to wait for an appointment. Looks like you're vet is too busy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lexie had Pano and she outgrew it, but only after a year or so...hope he feels better soon...shame

The vet gave us rimidal.

The vet didn't know bassets get Pano...figure that??

·
Registered
48 Posts
ooooo...Pano comes and goes!! so im no vet but it sounds like it!!!
they have sooo much pain with pano...but my lex doesn't verbalise anything...so she just didn't walk a lot!! :-(

all the best!

ditch the vet...our vet is open 24hours...and are available in crises times aswell - i phoned them when Wellie was almost dying ...they were waiting for us when we arrived!!!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't like to leave my animals at the vet--I want to be in there during the examination. So much seems to get lost in translation between me, the receptionist, the vet tech and then the vet. My original vet got so busy I finally had to switch to a smaller practice. Speaking of spontaneous healing as you're on your way to the vet: I got up one morning and Lightning could not walk. His hind end was completely useless. I called the vet, said I was bringing him in, somehow got him into my truck, got to the vet's, ran in and tearfully asked for help carrying him into the lobby. We put him down on the floor and he jumped up, running around and wagging his tail like a maniac. I felt like such an idiot! But at least it obviously wasn't serious, and he's been fine since. Good luck and I hope Max continues to feel better.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max is doing so much better now. Each day his foot seems to be a little better, today is his best day yet, no limping at all and now he puts pressure on it when standing still. I am so happy he is doing so well. Now that he is doing so well he is into all kinds of mischief but that's ok, I can handle that, I can't handle seeing my baby hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts