Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Worm got attacked by 2 dogs tonite... I couldn't believe it.

There is a middle school down the street in a pretty good, decent neighborhood. A lot of people bring their dogs there after hours. Just last week, we discovered a group of super responsible dog owners who bring their dogs there for off-leash play at the same time, and there's a big group of ~15 dogs that play together.

We were heading there, and before we got to the group, there were 2 large golden retrievers/golden doodle/labradors...? that were next to their owner by the drinking fountain. they looked like they wanted to play and i assumed they were friendly (my fault, shoulda checked)... although they were off-leash. I had just taken Worm's leash off and they started running over. Usually, that's the beginning of fun play for them. But i knew something was wrong when their owner was calling them to get them back (clear to me she knew her dogs could do some damage...)

Anyway, they came over and attacked Worm! i was in shock and screaming (and am still hoarse now) for about 3-5 minutes as it was happening. Well, he's so short compared to them, plus there's two, he really couldn't defend himself. anyway, the lady finally pulled her dog off. they were nice about it and gave me their number to call if he's hurt. i told her she should really rethink having them off leash like that. (unprovoked attack where they came over...)

I didn't see any dripping blood, though Worm was clearly shaken (and shaking...). he was looking at me like, "Why did that just happen to me???" And we went over to the playgroup, who was supportive of us and concerned, some said they noticed a limp, though i can't really tell. His walk does look a little funny, but i can't put my finger on what's wrong w/it....?? anyways, he can walk and run and he's not biting on anything.... just curious when people would bring him to the vet w/this limp thing...? I was also worried about his back, since they pushed him around a lot. Maybe that could make him walk funny...? There was lots of saliva and maybe bite marks in his fur? from the other dogs? but no blood, so I'm guessing that's ok...

also, this was kinda weird, I'm guessing someone here knows the answer (at least Mikey), but he was super stinky afterwards. Like the anal gland, fish oily-smell stuff. Would he have given that off in a fight like this? Or would the other dogs have? yeck. i just bathed his hindquarters because so smelly. Also, he was rolled around in the mud, almost in dog poop. but the school is pretty meticulous about cleaning dog poo. I was wondering, could he have pooped in the middle of this? (if so, maybe i should go back and clean up the piece of dog poop i saw.... it just didn't occur to me it might be his until now...)

ugh. so annoying. weird thing is that when we called the vet's office. THEY KNEW who we were talking about! cause someone there lives around here. they said if he's still limping tomorrow to bring him in. eh... what's the definition of limp anyway...?? they felt that couple couldn't control their dogs when they'd seen them before trying to walk them...

anyways, another ?? i have is.... what does one do in a situation like this??? i've never had this happen before. I had heard (no actually, i just read a couple weeks ago, a woman's dog was killed by 2 dogs, and when she tried to separate them during the fight, they attacked her and she ended up in hospital. here's the link Woman injured, dog killed in San Jose pit bull attack )

anyways, i had heard that you shouldn't separate dogs when they are seriously fighting, because you could get hurt :( but so hard to do when it's your doggie... so I was screaming at the lady to stop her own dog, which she eventually did... so yeah, back to the ??, what's the best thing to do?

also, i'm thinking of carrying a large stick/cane or pepper spray or something....? is there something useful to carry around and use on the dogs should this happen again...?

and is there anything else i should say to that couple? i do have their phone # after all... what would you say to them..?

Worm is resting and I'm baking him some rib bones now. poor little dude.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
OMG, poor little Worm. I would take him to the vet, limp or not, just make sure there aren't any injuries that were missed and in case of infection. And make sure the other couple pays the bill.

Do you know if the dogs have a history of attacking other dogs? If so, something needs to be done. That woman had no business bring her dogs there if she knew they could potentially hurt another dog.

It's highly possible that bowels loosened from the fight, and he soiled himself. I wouldn't worry about cleaning up the poops, and just concentrate on taking care of Worm.

I wish I had more/better advice; there will be lots of good input on this, I'm sure.

For now, here are lots of love, drool, and scritches from Boomer and his momma.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
OH NO!!!! Poor Wormie! And poor you for having to experience this with him!

This is like my worst nightmare. There is a group of dog owners who also meet up at the park by my house every day and let their dogs off-leash. All big dogs. Seemingly nice dogs.

But I guess you never know!

I wish I had the answers for you, but I think you have the best idea of what is going on since you have the worm with you. Take him to the vet, make them pay for it, just be sure he is ok.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I know someone will take the time to have a more specific answer for you (me=lazy :) but yes the dogs can expel their anal glands if frightened. And or pee/poo.
I have maced a dog before, and it's owner ran up into the mace cloud and started coughing and i cackled about that for ages (grinning right now) Her dog is constantly charging and snarling at people and she still takes it off leash around the neighborhood. We have leash laws! It's not a park! It's the sidewalk, stupid!

Anyway...I used to be all nice about it and tell people things happen...but now i get very mama-bear and I firmly tell them they should have their dogs on a leash and I think it's inconsiderate of them. People get fussy back sometimes saying "My dog just has more fun off leash" or "he's normally not like this" and i retort with "there is a dog park if you want them to run around, this is a neighborhood with leash laws"

grrr sorry i'm venting sorta ...LOL
One time at the dog park a huge labradoodle chased and bit bowser, TWICE in the butt and made him bleed. I was kind of in shock at that since i didn't realize until he started scooting his butt on the ground that he was doing it because it hurt and was bleeding. I told the guy he was bleeding, and he took his dog out of the park. I didn't have to ask. but sheesh, one comment before was that "oh she gets a little nippy" and Im thinking..then why bring here here and throw her in a pack of unsuspecting dogs?
anyway, If a dog is charging/running at me or my dog, i stomp my feet and shout and wave arms at them and they usually stop or dart off to the side. I stand in front of my dog (either one, or both, who are usually cowering and peeing themselves *sigh*) and just keep shouting "NO" and "GET" at the offending dog until the owner gets control.
That's the best preventative...if they start fighting though you're not supposed to reach in and break them up, because yeah, you will get bit!
Startle them, shout, run at them and stomp and get close, but not in the danger zone. Make a big strange ruckus and it will distract them enough to where you can reach in and get your baby out! I've done that before too.

Oh last story...a few months ago Daisy (our beagle) snuck out the back door when a handy man was here. I didn't realize it, and she was gone for 4-5 hours while we shouted our heads off and made phone calls.
I left the back gate and door open and sure enough around suppertime here she came in, all proud of herself and panting. Flopped on the floor and then i noticed the SMELL. She had anal gland ALLLL Over her backside. BLAH!
I didn't even have to scold her, since that was a heavy duty bath and punishment enough! lol

·
Registered
767 Posts
Poor worm. I hope he is ok. As far as pepper spray I don't know if it's a good idea or not. But I did read something the other day about personal protection. It said instead of pepper spray or a stun gun to use wasp / hornet spay because it shoots farther and you don't have to get as close. It will incapacitate someone for several minutes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my goodness, little Worm! That is so very scarey; I hope everything is ok. Agree with everyone else, take Worm to the vet to have him checked out and the other dog owners pay for it!
Lots of doggie hugs and licks from Molly!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Oh my...poor Worm! I've been in your position. Several years ago, I was outside with our cockapoo Zoey and she was on her leash in our yard (we didn't have a fence). As she was sniffing around to go potty, the neighbor's dog jumped the fence (again) and ran into my yard. Zoey said hi, but the dog turned on her, flipped her, grabbed her torso (this is a big dog!) and began shaking her like a toy. I was powerless and screaming. My neighbor and my husband came out and my husband pinned the dog down and Zoey and I ran in the house. Zoey needed surgery and a drain put in her wounds, but otherwise was fine and home that night (albeit in a TON of pain). I needed a tetanus shot, but no stitches from getting bit. I called the police as my husband rushed Zoey to the vet. The police came over and described the dog to me before I could get a word out.

Once I went to the ER for myself, the nurses there jumped to attention. Dog bites are serious business and I had no wait. They automatically report it to the county dog warden and it goes on file that this other dog has a history of attack.

The dog was unlicensed and unvaccinated, so it was quarantined for 10 days. It was around for a few more years, but I don't think they have it anymore. I got the whole "I don't know what got into her" routine too. The bottom line is, you can know your dog and know its signals, but dogs are still unpredictable. The incident scarred me and I am afraid of big dogs now. I am also fearful of rough play between my dogs and any dog I don't know. I am working to get over the fear and just live with a cautious attitude.

Now whether you contact your local dog warden is up to you. But sometimes it's best that incidents like this are reported to avoid a worse situation. The next dog who has a run-in with this one may not be as lucky as Worm.

Nevertheless, I am glad Worm is ok for the most part. I agree, a trip to the vet just to be safe may be a good idea. For Worm's sake.

Feel better, buddy. Molly and Winston send drool and tail wags.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor Worm! Once Lightning got so frightened by the menacing baby gate that he expressed his own anal glands. That's probably what happened to Worm. And be careful about carrying mace--it's not legal in some areas. So check first. But who takes aggressive dogs to a dog park!?!?! There's got to be someone you can report the owners to.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Poor worm. I had a basset who was jumped by a pit bull once in our apartment building. He wasn't hurt, but shaken up, and seemed to have his feelings really hurt. He loved everyone, and couldn't understand when someone didn't like him. The apartment manager loved our dog so much that when she heard about it, she evicted the pitbull's owner.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
they looked like they wanted to play and i assumed they were friendly (my fault, shoulda checked)... although they were off-leash. I had just taken Worm's leash off and they started running over. Usually, that's the beginning of fun play for them. But i knew something was wrong when their owner was calling them to get them back (clear to me she knew her dogs could do some damage...)

Anyway, they came over and attacked Worm! i was in shock and screaming
you may seriously want to invest in either a course or some illustrated books or video's on reading doggie body lanquage.

Well, he's so short compared to them, plus there's two, he really couldn't defend himself.
That really is individual dog dependant. I know plenty of basset if that happened two there would have been two bloody larger dogs. Not saying that is an ideal temperament but there are basset that in such a situation would fight and fight hard. You know know that wworm is more dependant than some otherm basset on humans to keep himself safe.

also, this was kinda weird, I'm guessing someone here knows the answer (at least Mikey), but he was super stinky afterwards. Like the anal gland, fish oily-smell stuff
Clenching of the muscle of the butt could cause that. without there ever being a bowel movement.

His walk does look a little funny ...what's the definition of limp anyway...??
in the broadest terms walking funny.

just curious when people would bring him to the vet w/this limp thing
A lot depend on the seriousness of the limp pain level of the dog etc. FWIW In terms of stregth of repair approximately 50 % occurs is the first few days and 90% in two week with soft tissue injuries. Aflter that a lot of remodling can occure that allows thing to move more freely and less pain but the repair is not necessarily a lot stronger. With what appears to be minor I restrict the activity of the dogs and give it a few day to see if the dog recovers on its own. There is no right or wrong answer. with most soft tiisue injuries delays in agggressive treatment are rarely a problem. So it comes to to piece of mind vs pocket book.

i had heard that you shouldn't separate dogs when they are seriously fighting, because you could get hurt
Defeninetly a possibility if you don;t know what you are doing and arn't smart about it. With dogs that simply bite down and hang on like most pully breeds you do not want to pull the dogs apart as this is likely to cause more damage by ripping of chucks of tissue that would not have happened other wise. You need a Break stick and
know How to use a break stick

whith other dogs or stoping a fight before the dogs lock onto each other. Grabbing the dog moving forward by the hind legs and pulling it away quickly keeps you away from the most dangerious par of the dog ie the biteing end and ussually diffuse the situation provide the other dog does not try and take advatage of the situation. When more than two dogs are involved is is not easy to control two this way unless you you have a way to tie off the dogs once removed.

see How to Break Up a Dog Fight
Without Getting Hurt!

or pepper spray or something
Most if not all the left coast states are highly restritive about carrying mace and or pepper spray general it requires a license. However they are general much more liberal on carrrying the same spray provided it is for protection from wild animals. These are actual as far as contents the same exact substances the difference is the size of the container. The ones specifial for wild animals are much larger and thereford more difficult to carried concealed.

My recommendation would be Guard Alaska Bear spray

I would only use it to prevent an attact one a dog is engaged the use of the spray has IMHO at least an equal if not more chance of esculating the aggressiveness as it does ending it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont care if there is a risk of getting bitten by breaking up a dog fight. If either of my boys were ever getting attacked by another dog, the risk of a dog bite is not going to deter me.

i dont have children, but I do have two furry sons that I would do anything to protect.

I would have had serious problems with the owners of those two dogs that jumped poor worm, and his dogs would probably be the one with limps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Poor worm!!
I would take him to the vet asap just in case, sometimes there could be injuries even if he wasn't obviously bleeding.

Our poor Charlotte was attacked and seriously injured by a neighbors boxer mixed that broke his lead and got out of her control. Lotte had puncture wounds that needed stiching up that we didn't even see or know about until she was shaved down and examined by the doc. If we hadn't have gotten her right over to the emergency vet hospital she could have had serious complications.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I find it completely irresponsible that this owner (of the dogs that attacked) would let her dogs off leash in public knowing this sort of thing could happen. Harley is a nutcase that snaps at people or other dogs randomly and because of that he is NEVER off leash anywhere but inside the confines of our home. Even on leash we will cross the street to avoid dogs or people.

If it turns out he is hurt you have grounds for a criminal or civil case in my unprofessional opinion depending on the laws where you are.

Honestly this sort of thing makes me incredibly angry because the victim in cases like this are so often completely innocent. Could've been a child that ran up instead of Worm... If you know your dog is a danger to others then you should keep it under control at all times.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Duder, I am right there with you. I may get mauled but whatever it is better be prepared for my return mama-bear mauling!!!!!!!!!!

And I drive to Oregon (in SoCal) to visit my parents and they got me a bottle of wasp spray to keep in the car in case I need it on a potty break. I have to admit though, It's not the first thing on my mind when Boswer or I need to get out of the car...to go walking around with my huge spraycan of wasp spray *LOL*

When Bowser got bit at the park that day I had been on the phone accepting a job interview...Otherwise i would have been RIGHT there to fend off that dog. I've done it a few times, i try to let him play even if i think it's too rough because i know i baby him...but i'm not afraid to pull back or give commands to someone else's dog..if they don't like it they can leave! LOL

1 - 20 of 56 Posts