Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am really getting worried about Duke. He seemed to respond well to the anti inflammatory he was on last week, but now that he is all finished it, he is wheezing something awful, and coughing and gagging.

Rushed him to the vet again, and he said it almost sounded like asthma. (non smoking house)It gets really bad when he goes outside in the cold. minus 12 today with the windchill.

He is back on it for seven days, instead of four. They haven't ruled out heart disease, and will begin testing vigorously if this batch of meds doesn't work. Duke shakes and whines so loudly at the vet, that they can hardly hear his chest.

It's so sad, he just wants to be with me, practically on my lap. He knows something is wrong. Sorry this is long and rambling...just worried about my basset. need to vent.

Sandy

A

·
0 Posts
Poor Dukie - here's all the hugs and drool from the Floodhounds. How is Bo taking this? Does he seem to act like something is wrong?

(((((DUKE)))))

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lynne, when Duke starts his wheezing, Bo is very concerned. Follows him around, sniffing his nose.

I have to pull him away, as Duke has enough to contend with at the moment. But I swear Bo knows something is wrong. He's so smart. (in a dumb sort of way, lol)

Sandy

A

·
0 Posts
Healing drool from us to Duke. We have all paws crossed that things turn out ok. Please keep us updated. yvonne

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Lots of healing drool for your baby!! It is so hard when they aren't feeling good. Pawsies are crossed that the meds to the trick.

A

·
0 Posts
I wonder if dogs do get asthma? I have it and it gets real bad in the cold air. Have they thought of giving prednisone (to open the airways). I guess they're checking his heart first.

Hope he feels better real soon!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Duke is on his way to the vet right now, my son took him.
The med helped a bit, the wheezing subsided, just the occasional flare up. But even his breathing when he's sleeping isn't good.
I personally think it's his heart. but we'll see what the vet says today.
He still tries to play, but doesn't last long. He even rolled over for a belly rub last night, doesn't seem uncomfortable, just tired.
Thanks everyone for your concern, I'll keep you posted...

Sandy

C

·
0 Posts
Poor Duke!! I think the coarse of anti inflammatory might have been too short for you, that would result in a rebound type of effect. Louie has been on prednisone four times already in his two years of life for his serious allergies...he doesn't wheeze though...

Good luck this time with your pup. Keep us posted!

A

·
0 Posts
I'm so sorry about Duke. Hugs and Drool on their way west down the highway. Take good care. We're praying for good news.

Susan and Wilson

1 - 18 of 18 Posts