Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all went for a nice walk on Sunday. When we got back to the house I noticed blood on one of Buddy's toes. I cleaned him up and examined the area. I couldn't see a darn thing except two little punctures. Well his toe swelled up and he ended up at the vet. They did X-rays, but couldn't find a break nor any foreign body. The best they can figure is he either stepped on something that just went in and right back out or maybe a spider bit him. Anyway, they said he had an infection and sent him home with antibiotics and also said to soak his foot in Epsom Salts. I'm not sure if anyone has ever had to soak a dogs foot, but it's interesting. I actually ended up using a gallon size bag and sat in the floor with him and held his poor little foot in there. Seemed the best way to do it. So here we are Saturday and his toe is still swollen. The vet said to come back in a week if it's not any better. So, I guess we'll give it until Monday and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We did the foot soak with Sami... it was an adventure! I put a few inches of water in the ub and then sweet talked her -feeding her bits of liver treats to keep her in the water...

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you think soaking a dog's foot is hard..

You should try soaking a horses's hoof in epsom salts! Quite a challenge I can tell you hehehe

Lou

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I have used a 2 cup plastic measuring cup. Had the dog stand and placed her foot in the cup. It worked well enough, I guess. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just did the baggie thing again and Buddy just laid down while I held his foot inside it. He got underfoot today and I accidentialy stepped on his hurt toe. He let out a little cry and I felt terrible. :cry: I have a feeling we'll be going back to the vet as the swelling doesn't appear to have gone down yet. Wish I knew what got him...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Reading about the 2 small punctures reminds me of a dog I had many years ago who was bitten on her nose by a snake- she had 2 small punctures and her muzzle swelled due to an allergic rection to the bite- is that a possibility?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A snake bite would certainly be something to look at, if we had them here in Alaska. It's just too cold for them. I've heard occasionally someone may see a garter snake, but that's it. this is the second time we've lived in Alaska and in the six years total I've never seen one.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We just came back from the vet a few minutes ago. What a trip! The vet had to poke Buddy several times to get enough of a specimen to send to the Pathologist. Buddy never cries, but he sure did then. Oh, it was so sad. :cry: The vet mentioned the possibility of amputation depending on what they find. I'm really wondering if it was a spider bite. We have some really nasty ones up here, but I'm not sure if any are capable of drawing the amount that I first noticed on him. Hopefully by the end of the week we'll know what we're dealing with. I've got a four day weekend coming up and would really like to get out with the boys, but now I'm afraid as this whole thing started as we were enjoying a walk.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The two punctures, swelling, and persistance of the symptoms despite antibiotics reminded me of of the snake bite my dog suffered from years ago, but in the absence of snakes where you live a spider bite does sound like a possibility- poor Buddy! I hope this is not the case and that amputation isn't necessary- please keep us posted on how he's doing- :cry:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sending healing drool from Copper, Patty, Dolly and Tillie.

Hope everything works out for the best.

Karen

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Lots of healing drool from us. It's lousy that you have to wait for the results, but hopefully Buddy will be feeling a lot better by then.

It does sound like something nasty got him.

Get well soon Buddy!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sending lots of healing drool and prayers for Buddy. Sure hope the Vet finds out what is going on soon.

Aroooos from Bogie!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
lots of healing drool from the boys and hope buddy if feelling better soon and that its not so serious that it needs amputaion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Poor boy. I hope he gets to keep his little leg. Another thing a lot of people dont think about when taking there dog for a walk is stickers you fing in grassy areas and dry areas. Usually you just think to fing them stuck on the bottom of your pants but they can burrow into your dogs skin. We had some in our backyard and didnt think too much of them until george stopped eating and his penis sweeled up and he didnt want to leave the couch. We took him to the vet and they had to surgically remove it. It was pretty scary. I just wanted to let everyone know what those stickers could do to your dog just incase anyone has any in there yard

·
Registered
813 Posts
You're talking about cockleburrs, and when my George gets one, he immediately holds up his paw for Mommy to get rid of it for him. He HATES them. Of course, that doesn't mean I can keep him out of the weeds where he picks them up. :roll:

We're certainly pulling for poor Buddy to get better fast and NO amputation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts