Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!

Alright, so Louie has had "soft" poop (kinda like soft icecream lol - didn't mean to ruin your deserts) since we've had him from about 2 months old. He's currently a year old. The morning one is normal doggy doo but as the day progresses it's quite soft and approaching runny. We've spent hundreds of dollars on antibiotics and tests and everything has come back normal and the antibiotics haven't seemed to make much of a difference. The vet now wants to do a colonoscopy and abdominal ultrasound and biopsy and blah, blah, blah $$$$$$$$$. I was told by another vet that he just is sensitive and has a bit of nervous colitis. But he does the soft poop thing when he's not stressed out too. He does occassionally get into things he shouldn't at home but this is quite rare and his poops are soft even if he's been a good boy and hasn't ingested anything wierd. We don't give him table scraps. We've tried rice, and we've tried to pinpoint whether it's something he's eating. We got rid of rawhide and he's getting wheat,corn and soy free food....

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on tests if this is just the way he is. It's really not hurting anyone (just is messy to pick up at the park) and I don't think he's in pain.

Has anyone had this problem? Is this a common Basset problem?

Any input would be fantastic!!!
Thanks everyone!!
Dana and Louie

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
First I was afraid to open the topic when it said "poop", and showing a photo was attached. :eek:
Sorry, but I won't be any help on your problem. Dozer will have loose stools once in a great while, but I have no idea what causes it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
But he does the soft poop thing when he's not stressed out too[/b]

To be honest there is no way of knowing what his actual stress level is. All one can say is behavior does not indicate stress or it indicates a high level of stress, but in reality this because a bit of speculation because not all dog will manfest what they are feeling emotionally to the same level, way or degree as another.

Often times it only takes a mild amount of stress to have this effect as well

Without a clear indication of any health risk involve I would have little motivation chasing after such a phantom symptom

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
We had the same problem with our dog, Gunny (German Shepherd) for months and months when he was a baby. We spent quite a bit of money on tests trying to figure out what the problem was and never really got an answer. Basically an overload of bacteria in the gut is what I think it came down to for him. We changed his food a number of times and finally found a food that worked very well for him, giving him nice poops. A few months ago I decided to change his food and I was worried how he would do after all that trouble so I changed it very slowly over a couple months and he is doing great on the food. The two foods that seemed to work best for him were AvoDerm Natural Oven Baked Beef and his current food which is Innova Regular Adult food. Even now if I decide to change his food again it will be done very slowly over a couple months. For him I only added a 1/4 per of the new food per week. What kind of food is Louie eating? Don't be afraid to try different foods for him until you find one that works. I give the new foods several months before I make a decision on whether or not to change it again.
Love the pictures of Louie, such a handsome boy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
When my basset has "loose stools", we boil potatoes and chicken or turkey for her and give her just that for about a week (to let her belly "rest") and gradually we start mixing it with her dry food. We have also given her 1/2 of an immodium and she seems to do really well with it. It usually clears up in a couple of days. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of food is Louie eating? Don't be afraid to try different foods for him until you find one that works. I give the new foods several months before I make a decision on whether or not to change it again.
Love the pictures of Louie, such a handsome boy![/b]

We're on our 5th kind of food. It's wheat, corn and soy free and we've been mixing it in with his old food for about 2 weeks now..Poops are still really soft, but we're at the point where we'll try a new food every once in a while, but beyond that, we don't want to spend thousands of dollars on what Mikey calls (and i agree) a "phantom symptom".

Thanks so much, and sorry to everyone if I scared you with the "poop" topic with pictures attached...lol :p :lol:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Scully developed some digestive issues when she was about 8 years old. We fed her chicken-based foods for most of her life, and then her tummy decided to become extremely sensitive, causing her to have nasty runny, and blood-tinged poops. (Talk about being descriptive....sorry.) As a last resort before doing a scope, our vet finally advised us to try a fish and potato food. That worked like a charm! She now eats nothing but California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato kibble, and various fish & potato treats, and all poop issues are kept under control.

I hope you find something that works for your adorable Louie. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scully developed some digestive issues when she was about 8 years old. We fed her chicken-based foods for most of her life, and then her tummy decided to become extremely sensitive, causing her to have nasty runny, and blood-tinged poops. (Talk about being descriptive....sorry.) As a last resort before doing a scope, our vet finally advised us to try a fish and potato food. That worked like a charm! She now eats nothing but California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato kibble, and various fish & potato treats, and all poop issues are kept under control.

I hope you find something that works for your adorable Louie. :)[/b]

thanks so much for the tip!
Louie has never had bloody poops thank goodness, but meat seems to make things worse. I've thought of trying a fish and potato food that's available at the store down the street (all natural ingredients) but i've been nervous about the fish. (he's never had it). I'll keep this in mind if the current veggie food that we're slowly trying, doesn't work!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay, this is also gross but...Rufus will have super soft (pudding-like) poop if he dines on his own. I can always tell if he's eaten some because the consistency goes from hard(ish) to mush. We have to scoop it as soon as he goes or he'll eat it. Is it possible that your dog does this?

Also, canned pumpkin does help to "bulk" it up. Maybe try a couple of tablespoons for a day or two?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay, this is also gross but...Rufus will have super soft (pudding-like) poop if he dines on his own. I can always tell if he's eaten some because the consistency goes from hard(ish) to mush. We have to scoop it as soon as he goes or he'll eat it. Is it possible that your dog does this?

Also, canned pumpkin does help to "bulk" it up. Maybe try a couple of tablespoons for a day or two?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts