Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice would be appreciated.

Maggie tends to poop pretty often during the day. Sometimes as much as 4 - 6 times. We have found that her feces in the middle of the day tend to be very soft and green whereas her first feces of the day first thing in the morning are normal, dark and hard.

I took away her rawhide a few weeks ago as I thought that might have been part of the problem as she had normal feces when we were visiting a friend for the weekend and she didn't have any rawhide to chew on. I think this has helped a little, but not completely.

I read on the internet that this means that her food is moving through her too quickly - which makes sense since in the morning she has had all night to digest. It recommended giving her a spoonful of canned pumpkin or metamucil for added fibre. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi -
The first thing to do is get a stool sample to your vet. We just adopted a Basset from a rescue, and he had three different parasites. Poor guy had runny, frequent, discolored poop. He's been on treatment for 3 days and there's a huge improvement. He had whipworm, giardia and tapeworm. Good luck wit your baby!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts