Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning...don't read this if you are eating anything....

I decided to start the massive job of cleaning 3 months worth of dog poop from our bakcyard. The snow has nearly all melted and it's a task that has to be done in stages so I thought I'd get started. The weather today was just amazing, it felt great to be outside; the dogs were out with me, lying on the deck enjoying the sunshine.

For the past few nights, the girls have been nosing around out in the yard and it's been difficult to get them to come in. They were both nose down, working at the ground, and they looked like they were eating something. We throw carrots or Cheerios outside for them sometimes to get them to go out for a pee at night so I though maybe that's what it was - old carrots or Cheerios. Now that the snow was melting, perhaps there were still a few on the ground.

Today, as I am cleaning up, I see black little small pellets in piles all over the yard. I was puzzled at first, not sure what it was, but just then Ethel strolls over and starts eating some. Then I clued in...it's rabbit poop. We'd seen rabbits in the yard over the winter, and they were always eating stuff in the yard, and we couldn't figure out what would be edible (our yard has NO trees or bushes, new subdivision.) Now I think they were eating undigested bits of carrot out of the girls' poop, and in turn the girls were eating the rabbit poop. Ugh!

SO....long story for a short question, is rabbit poop something to be really concerned about?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It's really good for the ground. :)

Really. I know people who keep bunnies and collect their poop for their gardens.

As for the dogs, I'm no expert but I've never heard of a dog getting anything from eating bunny poop.

I find those little piles all over the place, too. I found a huge pile of bunny poops right next to my car yesterday. I guess the little fellow just parked himself there and pooped away.

M

·
0 Posts
My German Shepherd LOVED rabbit poop. I asked the Vet about it and he said some dogs do. He claimed it's because rabbits eat veggies and the dogs can smell it in the poop!! Don't know about that explanation!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like recycling gone mad. Have heard of several dogs doing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts