Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our Poocie Bells in the mail yesterday to hang on the door when the girls need to go out. I hung them on the sliding glass door and when I opened the door the girls heard the bells ringing and ran under the dining room table. We'll, This morning Lucy went straight to the Sliding glass door and rang the bells to go out !!!! I had only shown them how to use the bells once. I don't know if this is just a fluke or not but I was really impressed. Hopefully today will be the first day on our journey to clean carpets LOL........

[ January 15, 2006, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Lucy & Ethel's Dad ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
YEA!! I do think our hounds are the smartest on the block! yvonne

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh good! I think the bells are wonderful and I highly reccomend them! They work for me!

When we have company guests get a kick out of it that he just rings the bells when he is ready to go out.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We love our Poochie bells--they replaced a ragged old set of Christmas bells from years ago. Nevermind that the younger one learned very fast they caused us to get up and go over to her , so she rings them when she wants to go out, eat, play, etc. etc.

They don't work for all dogs, however. I gave my in-laws a set for Christmas, and got an email about a week later..."how do you train the dogs (two Goldens) to use the bells? They're afraid of them, but the cats love them....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to have to get the poochie bells. Maybe we can move from the "sitting in the hallway staring at you" sort of telepathy way of telling me she needs to go out to something a little easier to hear. LOL!

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours arrived last week, and although Jasmine has rung them on more than one occassion just because she wants outside, she also uses them for their intended purpose. And she too rang them the first night we had them. So far, I think they're brilliant!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just made a set of bells to hang on the doorknob over the weekend to try with our new eight month old, Bogie. Bogie picked the idea right up and is nosing them when he wants to go out. He is using them to go potty, but he seems fascinated with them at other times, too. He rings them, goes out potties, comes in five minutes later rings them again, out he goes for another exploring mission in his new yard, back in, and in another ten minutes or so, bells are ringing. We've decided we won't have to go to the wellness center any longer, we'll just stay slim running to the door.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This may seem like a stupid question, but do they come with instructions on how to teach your dog to ring them?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lisa, I dont know if they send instructions with the bells, but their home page has a link called "training" and it seems to explain things pretty well.

Janet 'n Twinkie

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lisa, I dont know if they send instructions with the bells, but their home page has a link called "training" and it seems to explain things pretty well.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use some old brass bells on a ribbon. Charlie learned to use his bells very quickly, and two of the girls who lived with us learned from him. Our newest addition hasn't caught on yet, but I'm not sure that Edith Ann's little elevator goes all the way to the top!!! I'm gonna work with her myself one of these days and I'm sure she'll catch on.

I really love the bells......

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am really thinking about doing this for Shyla. However, she is VERY lazy and might not want to get up. She'll probably train the kids to ring it for her majesty! LOL

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When our doxie started ringing the bells for play, attention, anything other than potty, this is what we did: Ringing bell=ONLY a trip to the potty place on her leash. She stopped ringing it for other things within a couple of days.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Will someone please link to where you found these? I have been looking for a set but haven't seen anything I really liked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a quick fyi, I got the bell training idea from a neighbor a few years ago and trained both my dogs to use it. I highly recommend it however if you want a cheaper version than 29.99 you can make your own with some ribbon and a simple bell from a fabric store for about .75c I have bells on my front door, the back door, the parents house back door and one in the car in case we take the dogs to someones house.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great advice, MurraysMom, as Jasmine has taken to ringing the bell quite quickly, but has also taken to ringing it whenever she wants out to run around. And hey, I've been looking for an excuse to train her to a potty spot rather than let her choose her place in the garden (we're having to returf the lawn this spring as she's killed off patches of grass all around the garden). We'll just have to see how it goes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Penelope is 7 1/2years now and I thought I was the only one who's basset did that! When we first got her at 3mnths she wouldn't make a sound or let us know that she had to go outside so I strung a xmas bell on a sewing elastic and hung it on the door and everytime I put her out I rubbed her head against the bell(to make it ring)and within a few days she was ringing her own bell. I thought I was a genious! (too funny) anyways it is a great Idea and works great!! She actually rings the bell to get us to let the cats in when they are sitting outside the glass door!
Dawn

[ January 19, 2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Dawnald ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts