Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we've been trying to teach fred to use the poochie bells to let us know she has to go out, instead of just squatting on my floor. We've had it up since she was 12 weeks and she's now 6 months. What we've been doing is saying "outside ring the bell" when we take her out and we'll ring the bell and go out. She'll ring the bell, but only if we ask her to otherwise she'll just go whereever. She hasn't had an accident in about 2 weeks but i'm very strict with the housebreaking now she's had accidents again. She really has no signs (circling, wniffing, whining, etc.) or just not any I can tell.

is she just not going to pick up on the bells or is there still a chance?

also how long does it take for them to be reliable? I heard they take awhile but she's 6 months and doesn't seem to grasp it. Am I doing something wrong? We highly praise her for going potty outside and ignore her for going inside and clean it with OUT (which is walmart's version of nature's miracle). She's never had a poop accident inside ever and even pee accidents she's only had 10 or less since we've had her and we also moved houses too so i'm wondering if that messed her up? All in all she does good but i'm on her tail 24/7 because i'm worried if I slack off she'll have an accident.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This can also be a big transition phase problem in housetraining If you alway direct the dog outside when you think it is time for her to go she never learns to do this independantly, she becomes dependant on you to tell her when to go. To transision when you think it is near her potty time do not take her to the door or in any way cue her to go outside just walk her like a hawk IF she start to go in an inappropriate spot then interupt her with a loud noise , No, what ever works then take her her out. If you allway make it to easy for her she will never learn, at some point you have to give her the oppurtunity to fail but you want to be right there when it happens. not so much to correct her but to create a learning experience,
thank you for the suggestions we will definetely start on those. Our problem with your method is we can not interrupt her enough to stop pottying inside. If she starts to pee we could say no, shake a can of pennies or blow an air horn off in her face she'll continue to go. This is the method we started with and had major accidents, and even now if she starts having an accident nothing will startle her enough to discontinue. Our trainer said we have to prevent accidents so she learns outside is the ONLY place to go.

I'll give this method a try again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well here is what we started doing with Fred. If we get up to go to the door, obviously she follows because she has to have her nose in everyone's business! So we'll suit up (shoes, jacket, poop bag) and just stand there, and at this point she is rarin to come out and play with us in the snow but we wait. She will within a minute or so ring her bell and we immediately praise and treat and clip her leash and head out.

so far does this sound like an ok thing? It's a little different approach.

I also agree though if they don't want to go out the bell is not going to do any good. The bell is suppose to be so they can let you know they have to go out (kinda like barking or pawing at the door). It may help with the times they are willing to go out and then you'll have to work on them for the times they don't want to go out. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.