Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hang in there! Someone told me when I was struggling housetraining Princess Buttercup that any basset hound that figures it out before 6 months was a genius!! Not sure if it's true but it made me feel better! We thought we had a genius but at 3 or 4 months she got a UTI & we were back to square one. Bell training did the trick & now its hilarious! There's a direct correlation to how bad she has to go & how loud/ vigorous she rings the bell! Soft singular ding by bumping snout gently at bell= "I couldn't help but notice it's sunny outside, if anyone is headed out, I'll come with." Loud multiple dings followed my swatting bell with my paw & swinging it at the wall= "Hey humans!!! I GOTTA GO! NOW!!!"

·
Registered
763 Posts
Our basset took to it pretty quickly, although I do remember her early on peeing inside and sprinting over to ring the ball, then wagging her tail like she was a good girl!! Arggh! That's backwards!! We ring the bell then we go outside silly! We just would push her nose into the bell & take her right outside & one day with a little peanut butter on it, she rang it herself & from then on out by herself! She now sometimes loses bell privileges however when she rings it over & over because she wants to go sunbathing! But early on it was fantastic! You can travel with it & hang it wherever when on vacation so she know that's where you go outside. Good luck taming the ninja!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.