Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm having poached salmon for tea and wondered if my 3 month old, could have a little bit, mixed with kibble? Is it any good for them. Obviously I would make sure there are no bones in it.

Please advise.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I let my dogs have little samples of what I eat sometimes I think if it is done in moderation it would be OK. Barne is only 12 weeks so I don't give him to man treats ut he is having some stomach issues.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Salmon is good for dogs, yes, but my advice is to mix it in with their dinner to prevent starting the begging habit.

You can actually feed dogs raw meat if you want.

Only problem you may run into is with anything you added to it like spices. Sometimes that won't sit well with them. Their bodies prefer the bare meat with no spice.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
You can actually feed dogs raw meat if you want.
On need to be very carefull when adding /supplimenting with meat because it will upset the calcium to phosporus ratio and contrary to rea advocates dog routiane get sallmonella and other baterial infections form raw food. and are know to shed the bacteria in feeces etc

Prevalence of Salmonella in raw meat used in diets of racing greyhounds​

Salmonella shedding in racing sled dogs

Salmonellosis (Canine)
In a single study conducted in north-central Colorado, 71 dogs with acute diarrhea were tested to see if the cause could be identified. In those with confirmed cause(s) for diarrhea, 2.3% were infected with a Salmonella species. Studies in working dogs such as sled dogs and racing greyhounds found incidence of Salmonella shed in 11-63% of fecal samples, with most dogs showing no signs of illness.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have mixed stuff in my dogs food all the time, I like to keep it lively. I do make sure it's not spicey.

Also salmonella is in dry dog food as well. My dogs eat raw meat allot, sometimes they find dead things on our walk and eat those. Sick, oh well they are dogs. I give them raw bones to clean there teeth.

You would not want to feed raw salmon from the Pacific North west as it has a some sort of parasite that has to be killed buy freezing.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
mine like spicy and have been know to eat hot peppers as well.

the can be funny in preffences though

toughy tomatoes not a real fan like the other dogs but spice it up in a sauce marinara and the like he go nuts for it.

Frozen pea he'd go nuts for fresh or cooked peas he would not touch,

macy loves lettuce aand other greens but won't touch mustard geens.
she/ll eat a jalapeno or two but won't touch an atomic fire ball.

mariah likes coffee but only if cream and sugar added won't drink/ steal it black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts