Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Ilze i need help with my 3 1/2 month old basset puppy. He keeps on urinating in my house he has the idea of pooping outside but he still urinates in the house. I think the time for crate training has passed, i have tried everything. I give him a treat when he urinates outside and i have shouted, clapped my hands yelling NO!, and i have even gotten to the point of lightly spanking him with the newspaper. Please help is there anything i can do to make my and his life easier. :unsure:

And is it normal for bassets to be so hyperactive when they are puppies? :blink:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi there,

I'm probably not the best person for advise on Bassets as I only have one and it's our first dog ever!

Is your dog peeing in the same place everytime or is it anywhere and everywhere?

We put newspaper down when snoopy was a puppy and gradually moved the paper closer and closer towards the door so finally the paper was outside and she didnt pee in the house again. We've had a few accidents recently but that's cos we have changed her rutine as my partner is now working nights.

Snoopy was very hyper and disobedient as a young puppy. we found changing her food to a more expensive and much better quality worked wonders.

hope this helps

Clare

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sorry you're finding it difficult. I have never had a pup but I know that 3 1/2 months is far to young to expect him to be trained. The only thing I wil say is, IMO hitting him with anything will only make the problem worse and even make him fearful and aggressive, then you will have real problems. He will not understand why he is being spanked(be it lightly or otherwise). Don't understand why you say he is by crate training. He is only 31/2 months old!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully someone who has more experience than I have will come on and give you some advice. Best of luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for your replies i will definitly try and take your advise i like the advise about the newspapers and moving them outside gradually. I don't think crating will work with Monty he is very hyper and he is already used to the idea that he can play outside all day, i think it will kill him to be in a crate when he is grated so much freedom now. That's what i don't understand he pees outside the whole day but the moment he comes in the house he has to mark it how do i get it out of his head that MY house is not his territory? :D

Again thank you soooo much for all your help. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
i think the territory marking thing is something male dogs do. i have a girl so she's not done that.

good luck! remember he's only a baby - it's still early enough to train him to do anything you want!

i found it hard to train snoopy and then i made up a scary low toned voice when she was being naughty and i talk to her in that voice when she is doing something she should'nt! it seems to work wonders - my boyfriend thinks i am mad! but then he doesnt have much control over her and i do.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I got Moose when he was three. He was a kennel dog, and was NOT house broken. He did not catch on at all, to any of the housebreaking tricks I had tried. So I brought out the crate!

He, too is very hyper, but it worked!! In fact it worked in about two days!! I just ran with him directly from the crate to the door. He caught on so quick. I also found putting him in the crate calmed him down abit, at times.

Having said that, your puppy is much too young to expect it to be trained yet. It's a baby. Get some puppy training pads (Walmart), to save your carpet, and have them by the door. Bassets are extememly hard to train, but believe me, one day it will be like a light bulb went on, and he'll get it. (in a year or two :D )

Some pups are more hyper than others. Please don't ever hit it, with anything. Then you may have other issues with agression. Puppies need to CHEW, or they'll go crazy...make sure to have safe chew toys, etc for him. And walk him. You will hear this ALOT on here: A tired basset is a good basset. Enjoy your puppy!

Sandy

·
Registered
775 Posts
VERY well said Sandy!! I was going to post a reply basically saying everything she did. He will eventually learn. PATIENCE is the key to any puppy. He is worth the time & effort. Don't give up or give in to him. The trick is to be more stubborn than he is. Bassets are a wonderful breed, so loving!!! Definitely advise against hitting him with anything!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's going to take a while to get your little one completley housebroken. Sophie had accidents up to her 1st birthday. But soon after that she was able to hold it until we got outside. And now she knows to bark or bang into the blinds by the sliding glass door whenever she wants to go outside and potty. I would definitley recommend using the crate to help with training.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So sorry you are having problems with Monty, but you are expecting way to much from a 3 and 1/2 month old puppy. Never ever spank him, you will only confuse him and make him agressive. Bassets mature slower than many breeds and as a result are harder to housetrain. We are on our second male and neither was totally trustworthy in the house until about 1 and 1/2 years old.
Crate training works wonders when you cannot watch your puppy inside. Take him outside play with him be sure he has pottied, and bring him in for a bit of freedom in the house watching him constantly. Put him on his leash so he is right with you and tie him to you if necessary. If you can't watch him put him in the crate. Immediately upon taking him out of the crate, back out side until he potties. Lots of praise, pets, treats when he potties outside. If he makes a mistake inside be sure to clean the area well, pet shops have good products to help with the odor. Also a solution of vinegar and water helps. If the odor remains they will usually return to the same area and try to go there again.
Remember to take him out after he wakes up, after he eats, and during playing, before you crate him, activity and excitement make them go more often. It will take lots of patience on your part and learning to read his signals.
You have gotten lots of good advice from the other forum members as well. Good luck, and enjoy Monty.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
BubbaLeroy's advice is just excellent. It summarizes the whole process in a few paragraphs. But just to say it again. 3 and 1/2 months is a little baby. Please don't hit him--he has no idea what he's done that is wrong. I can't give you an age when you should expect your pup to be reliably housebroken, because dogs (even bassets) have a huge range, depending on the house, how vigilant you are, and other things that aren't so easily identifiable, but my recollection with my crate trained dogs was 6-9 months, minimum. It looks like some dogs take even longer, from the other posters. And when we moved, we had to buff up the 9 month old until she learned where the doors were in the new house.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
33 Posts
We did not think Lucy would ever get the potty thing fugured out. We got her at 8 weeks and she didn't stop peeing in the house until she was about 7-8 months. I think she just didn't want to be trained until she was good and ready (typical Basset). We got a rescue basset that was already trained and Ethel showed Lucy the ropes of where to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everybody thank very much for you advise I am so glad that you all say i shouldn't spank him it breaks my heart to to it! I will definitely try it all. Monty and i are going to doggy school tonight so we will see how that works out, but i am looking forward to it. :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think you will do just great - escpecially since you are doing some obedience training - that is just fabulous! It sounds like your puppy has a nice fenced backyard to run around in all day - right? And then he comes inside when you get home from work? I'll bet that what is happening is that he isn't getting the idea because he just potties where he wants all day - so you come home and he just keeps pottying where he wants to! I think the key is that when he is in the house you need to keep your eye on him. If you can't watch him, put him in the crate. If you can watch him, let him out, but don't let him roam the whole house (I made this mistake) just let him in one room. Then keep your eye on him and when he starts sniffing rush him outside to pee. When he pees you give him a REALLY GOOD TREAT. Like a piece of hotdog. Then you ACT LIKE HE JUST WON THE OLYMPICS. You say: WHAT A GOOD BOY, WHAT A FABULOUS BOY...... etc. Basically you sound like a total idiot. I know - you feel silly, but it works. I did this with a foster that didn't like the grass in our back yard, so I had to do it in the front yard. Oh Joy. But it worked!! (You can block the room off with a baby gate or chairs or something.) Trust me he needs to be either in the crate or with someone watching him in one room. If this isn't the case he will just go into another room and pee and you will never know it. (I know this because I did this totally wrong myself!!) It isn't mean - you are training your dog, and a well trained dog will always have more choices than a untrained dog.

He is a good age to be crate trained, and there are lots of advantages to having a crate trained dog. If you want to travel with your dog, take him places, have him in a motel room, etc. it always works better with a dog that is comfortable in the crate.

Good luck with your puppy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
you got some great advice. the crate will be your best friend. at 3.5 months you still need to go through teething and chewing stages. bassets are not the easiest to train and some take forever to train, like mine. i found that sadie would just go into her crate by herself. the trick i used was treats. also i never let her out until she settles down and then i open the door. also, dont give into whining and barking for the first few days. hang in tuff and it will pay off. make the crate a wonderful place not a jail. feed your puppy in the crate with the door open and place favorite toys in the crate to create his den. make sure the crate size allows for your pup to lay down and turnaround. too much space and they will pee and poop in one corner and sleep in the other.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Monty's Mum, Just wondering if it is as Rocket said, you go to work and put him outside all day until you get back? Does anyone come to feed him and check that he is O.K. I would be worried something would happen to him left out all day alone at such an early age. I have heard many stories of pups being stolen from gardens or kids taunting them or worse.I'm presuming he has somewhere to go to keep out of the elements. If this is what is happening (not sure) I would bring him into the kitchen when you are gone , put newspapers down and leave his crate open. You may even find it helps with the toilet training. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Rocket and Sadeyes. Yes he does stay outside until i come home and then he is allowed in the house. Don't worry my boyfriend works from home so he is there the whole day.

Thanx for everybody's replies it is fantastic.

Puppy school went well i think, if you don't count the fact that he peed in the vetinary (sp?). :D

I was so proud of him there was this German sheppard 4 month old pup and he played a bit hard with monty but monty stood his ground i could not believe it.

Oh and he didn't pee once in my house last night!!!! :D

thanx again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts