Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need advice! We have a very sweet 7yr old Basset that we cannot get to stop peeing in the house. She has been to the vet and had blood work and urinalysis, they find no medical reason for urinating inside. She was excellent with potty training for about the first 5yrs of her life. Never had an accident inside. 2 years ago, when we had our first child is when this all started. I think Flash did not like that she wasn't getting all of our attention and started peeing inside. She NEVER has an accident when she is home alone, and sometimes we are gone at work for 10hrs per day. she sleeps in a kennel so we don't have issues at night, all the inside peeing happens when we are home! She just sneaks away from us and pees. If any door in the house gets shut she will pee outside the door. It then seems that once she pees in a certain area she keeps coming back and using that spot. I clean the pee every time with a portable carpet shampooer using an enzymatic cleaner. It's getting to the point where she does not ask to go outside, she just walks somewhere and pees. We let her out multiple times when we are home, I would estimate at least every 2 hours or more. I have no idea where to go from here and how to fix this. I am totally at my witt's end. Husband says we cannot keep living like this.

Has anyone had such a stubborn basset peeing inside like this and been able to fix the issue??

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Provided the vet did all the work-ups needed to rule out a medical problem (and I do wonder about her being left for 10 hours withouit the ability to empty having damaged her kidneys in some way?) then yes, this could have to do with your baby and her reacting to this. Has she been spayed, and if so, at what age, because sometimes if done early, a bitch can suffer with 'spay incontinence'. You might talk to your vet about this possibility because I'm fairly suire there is medication to help this.

I guess what you may have to do, at least to try to break this cycle, is crate her for some time during the day. Not all day but at least when you are otherwise occupied, so she has a chance to wander off and pee. And don't wait to be asked - you do the 'asking'.

I just googled spay incontinence and found this. There will be other sources.

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
spay Incontinence usually happens when they are sleeping .Given what you said think something entirely different is going on.

"2 years ago, when we had our first child is when this all started. I think Flash did not like that she wasn't getting all of our attention and started peeing insid "

not quite the explaination/spin I would put on it. IMHO what likely happend is the lack of attention to the dog resulted in you missed signalling by the dogs it needed to go out. Over time the dog stops trying and goes for second best option sneeking off.

What you need to do is train the dog a clear consciese signal you will not ignore that it need to go outside for this i recommend ClickerSolutions Training Treasures -- House Training: Ring My Bell! another option is a doggy door,.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spay Incontinence usually happens when they are sleeping .Given what you said think something entirely different is going on.

"2 years ago, when we had our first child is when this all started. I think Flash did not like that she wasn't getting all of our attention and started peeing insid "

not quite the explaination/spin I would put on it. IMHO what likely happend is the lack of attention to the dog resulted in you missed signalling by the dogs it needed to go out. Over time the dog stops trying and goes for second best option sneeking off.

What you need to do is train the dog a clear consciese signal you will not ignore that it need to go outside for this i recommend ClickerSolutions Training Treasures -- House Training: Ring My Bell! another option is a doggy door,.
I'm thinking you're correct about us missing her signalling in the beginning and now she's just used to peeing inside 😭 Life is so crazy right now. We have tried a doggy door and we are still working on it, but she is very afraid if it for now. I am going to look into the clicker training, thank you! I think we are also going to get a wireless fence, we have alot of property but she does not stay in the yard so she is confined to either a leash or a small fenced in area.

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
I Personallly would never trust a basset on e fenc. That said an e Fence only does 1/2 the job of a conventional fence. It may contain the dog but it does not protect the dog from other dogs or Wildlife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts