Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murray's anal glands are no longer producing smelly brown liquid- rather, they are filling up with pasty beige gunk.

We were at the vets last night for our regular monthly anal gland expression, and for the 2nd month in a row that is what the vet found. He flushed both glands with saline.There is no infection, but he says that this material can't pass out by natural means when Murray poops.He said that if this continues he can continue to flush, but that maybe it's time to think about surgery to remove the glands.

I've managed Murray's anal glands for 2 years (since both glands abcessed) with monthly expressions and diet and exercise- pumpkin and bran added to his food and lots of activity, and up until now we've been OK. This isn't working anymore.

Has anyone out there had a hound producing this pasty stuff in their anal glands? What did you do?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Miriam- I had never seen this, and the vet gave me the impression that something abnormal was happening. (He has been talking about removing Murray's anal glands for 2 years, since they abcessed.)

I will continue to just manage them as I have been with diet and exercise and regular expression of the glands.

You and Betsy have put my mind at ease about this. I really appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts