Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning our 4 year old Basset (Belle) started to throw up. I took her outside and she had a normal bowel movement, but proceeded to lay down right where she went. Belle is extremely clean, to the point where she "wipes" her paws after going. When I squatted down to look at her, she was totally unresponsive. I had to pick her up and carry her to our van for a fast drive to our vet. Once there, she started having bloody diarrhea.

The vet checked her temperature and it was normal. She started to drool in excessive amounts and she is a drymouth Basset (except when we give her treats of course). She was given barium and taken to X-ray where no obstructions were found in stomach or bowel. I scoured this site and came across information for Hemorrhagic Gastroentritis (HGE) and printed off all the information I could from PetPlace.com and took it back to the vet's office.

There has been no change in Belle's condition. She is still lethargic, she will wag her tail and lift her head, but will not try to stand. The diarrhea seems to of slowed down/stopped and they are giving her Subcutaneous (spelling?) injections to keep her hydrated. I guess they were having trouble getting an IV started on her.

We live in a small town, and Belle is never let outside alone so we've ruled out poisoning. Our house has been Basset proof for the 4 years we've had her, so we don't believe she could of gotten into anything toxic in the house. This morning when we got up, my wife took her out and when she came in she was her normal happy go lucky self doing laps in the living room. Four hours later this all started. She is up to date on vaccines and has never been sick. I have been watching our 10 year old shepherd mix all day, and he displays nothing.

Please if you may have any ideas, post them here. I am worried that our vet might miss something. He was interested in the HGE information I gave him, and didn't seem to be up to date on it. I know he's a professional, but anything I may be able to find with help from folks here may be the difference in bringing Belle home.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Belle. I know how terrified I was was when Buffet had HGE. She was fine, and then she was gravely ill in such a short time frame. She was very sick for about 36 hours, requiring IV's, antibiotics, a transfusion, and round-the-clock care, at our vet's during the day, and then at the emergency vet's at night.

The good news is that once they turn the corner, they improve rapidly. Wishing Belle a swift recovery--please keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Betsy. I just got off the phone with the vet, and they were able to get an IV going. Our town does not have an all night emergency clinic, but the vet does live there on site and he said he'll be checking in on her.

We spoke about HGE, and he said the biggest thing is finding the cause. Is this a reaction? Is this some kind of bacteria? I'm pulling my hair out and I really don't have much left to do that to. He gave us some hope, saying that Belle is very healthy and should have the body mass to make it through the time waiting on the antibiotics and hydration to help.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
As unsatisfactory as it is, the cause isn't known, but other conditions that produce similar symptoms may need to be excluded.

From VetCentric's discussion of HGE
Just as there is no unique diagnostic test for HGE, there is no established cause for the illness. Treatment is similar as that for other causes of vomiting and bloody diarrhea in dogs. However, relatively large amounts of fluid are usually needed to replace the fluid lost into the intestinal tract, and to reverse shock, if present. Antibiotics are also given because bacteria may play a role in causing HGE. Although the signs are sudden and severe, and some dogs do not survive, most animals with HGE recover fully with prompt treatment. Recurrences are possible in an individual dog, but they are not common. Prompt veterinary attention is vital for any dog with severe gastrointestinal signs and depression, whether due to HGE or other causes.
And, from another HGE discussion
The diagnosis of HGE is one of exclusion, meaning other possible causes of bloody vomiting and/or bloody diarrhea must first be considered.   Some of these possible causes include ulcers, trauma, gastrointestinal tumors or obstruction, foreign bodies, infectious diseases, and coagulation disorders.  Evaluation of these other causes might require such tests as a complete blood count, biochemical analysis of the blood, urinalysis, x-rays, coagulation tests, fecal evaluation ultrasound or endoscopic (fiberoptic) evaluation of the gastrointestinal tract.  Because the costs of all these tests could be significant, it is sometimes prudent to treat the dog for a few days with supportive care to see if the signs resolve.
[ April 05, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this with your baby. My Daisy became suddenly ill with pancreatitis a few weeks ago, but it took awhile to figure out what it was, and it is the most horrible, helpless feeling. It sounds as if Belle is in good hands. We will pray for her, and Daisy Mae & Sally Bassets send healing drool. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sorry to hear that Belle has what may be HGE. It's a scary illness but most dogs recover with treatment, which consists mainly of replacing fluid loss. Roady had it a few years ago and I know at least a half-a-dozen or more bassets who have had HGE.

Sending healing thoughts for Belle's speedy recovery. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wife and I just got back from the vet and we're happy to say that Belle is 100% better. It's amazing to see a beautiful happy Basset after having to carry her into the vets just the day before. It seems that the antibiotics and IV did the trick.

After beating ourselves up wondering what could have possibly caused this, we're left with only the rawhide chewy as the possible culprit. I read the post here about rawhide from other countries not being regulated, and after looking at the bag, these were from Brazil (way to go Hartz! :D .

My wife and I thank you for your concern and prayers. Now we just wait for the vet to let her come home.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We'll be hoping that Belle makes a full recovery and can return home (to be spoiled as every basset should be) very soon. I can only imagine the pain you've been through, my heart goes out to you and your wife.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
So glad to hear Belle's on the mend! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belle is now home recuperating, and hopefully we're over this incident. She's still weak and not fully recovered to true Basset nature, but time and rest should take care of that.

I still suspect that the rawhide chew we gave her Sunday night played a part in this, and from now on they are taboo. She'll just have to be happy with dog biscuits :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts