Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions on this one?? I "try" to make sure the kids, Rusty & Stickers, (one year old Brother & Sister) have exhausted themselves playing before I feed them. Everytime they eat, (twice daily) they play rough and run through the house. I like the fact that they are so close but I worry about bloat. Am I being parinoid?? They really run laps everywhere through the house! Fast and it last a long time. I just am worried that with all this playing and running they might get too much air in their bellies??? I don't want to discourage them or reprimand them from playing. That's a good thing. They are so close. But I also need to know if I should be concerned??? Anyone want to offer an opinion??

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am so scared about the same thing. My kids love to get Shyla in a frenzy and I am always yelling "You're gonna give her bloat!!"

·
Registered
905 Posts
Join the club!! I'm neurotic about bloat too (and back or neck injuries).I never let Toby run about either an hour before, or an hour after eating and I feed him twice daily too.(was given this advice by my vet) Last thing at night I give him a tablespoonful of bio-live natural low fat yoghurt (supposed to be good for acid and gas in the stomach).

I have also read that if you feed dry food with Vit C as a preservative, then you should never add water to it and restrict their water consumption for an hour afterwards. So I have now changed their food because of this and seemingly dogs who are fed wet food(canned etc) have a much much lower lower risk of bloat. I mix the two. I used to make my own and am seriously considering doing it again.

At the end of the day, I don't think it is really clear what causes bloat, but I just take as many precautions as I am able to.

Edited to say, I don't let him roll over for tummy rubs either for an hour after a meal. Read somewhere that was bad too.....

Did warn you I was neurotic about this :roll:

[ February 24, 2006, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Sadeyes ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Opus has had bloat(surgery and much fingers crossed), and other than small meals more frequently, the only other advice I can give is try-if it is possible- to give your dog at least an hour to digest his meal before rough and tumble play( I know it is not always possible, if your dogs are like Opus as soon as they have food they have energy)
Arlene and Opus

·
Registered
163 Posts
I never thought about bloat, my concern is if mine will break a leg. They come running into the house and use the back of the couch as a springboard. That and they run full speed towards each other in the yard and "lock horns" like bulls.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
there was one time I thought Henrietta had a bloat. I was sooo panic, called the vets, in a few minutes she let out this big stinky 'gas' from her end....and she was fine!!! :roll:

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
In the purdue studies onj bloat there was no link between bloat and activity after eating.

Speed at which the dogs eat, conformation Depth of chest compared to width, Dry dog food when moisten only if vitamin C is used as a preservative, age older the dog the more likely the dog is to bloat, family history if dogs in the pedigree bloat more likily a prodginy will bloat. Dog that have bloat in the past are more likely to bloat again in the do not have corrective surgery to prevent torsion, (twisting of the stomach) A rasied food bowl increase the risk. Stress is said to raise bloat risk.
Large meals increase bloat risk especially if fed once a day. It is volume of food consumed daily so a premium dog food highly packed with nutrients and less filler is less lighly to cause bloat that less nutritional dense store brand type foods. The only breed-specific characteristic significantly associated with a decreased incidence of GDV was an owner-perceived personality trait of happiness.

Some tauted preventative measurse that proved ineffective, Limiting Water consumtion after consumption of a meal dry or canned. Premositening dry food, actual in one specific instance mention above premoisten actual increase bloar risk. Limit activity after a meal.
A raised feeding bowl actual increase bloat risk.

link to prudue studies and findings
Canine Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (Bloat)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just picked up "Basset Hound" magazine at Petsmart on Wednesday night and there is an article about bloat. It lists the theories but the article is really just a list of the possible reasons for it, including dry food content (causing gas) and meal size. They specifically mention soy products.

To be safe, I always try to keep Belly and now Dixie ...calm for an hour. It can't hurt to do this and keep portion size down just in case they are related to bloat. I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's how I approach most things like this when there is no solid evidence.

Isn't it funny how they get that burst of energy after eating. Belly has ALWAYS launched into the Basset 500 after dinner. I guess eating makes him happy!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just picked up "Basset Hound" magazine at Petsmart on Wednesday night and there is an article about bloat. It lists the theories but the article is really just a list of the possible reasons for it, including dry food content (causing gas) and meal size. They specifically mention soy products.

To be safe, I always try to keep Belly and now Dixie ...calm for an hour. It can't hurt to do this and keep portion size down just in case they are related to bloat. I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's how I approach most things like this when there is no solid evidence.

Isn't it funny how they get that burst of energy after eating. Belly has ALWAYS launched into the Basset 500 after dinner. I guess eating makes him happy!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put their harnesses and leashes on right after eating and take them for a leisurly walk. This way, they'll learn that it's what is expected after dinner and it won't be an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts