Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have several pine trees on our property, and Mabel Jo (12 weeks), has spots of pine tar, or pitch, on her long ears and the bottoms of her little feet. I've researched remidies, and thus far, baby oil and bathing has not helped. One spot in particular has been on her ear for about 2 weeks now. I've heard peanut butter, butter. . .Anyone else have this problem with their babes? Thanks - Mabel Jo's momma, Amy

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ok, So then you would take PB say, and massage it in, and then try to gently rub/comb it out??

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yes, it works on getting gum out of hair, it should help with tar. Plus, Mabel might get a lick or two in, a bonus treat!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect -thanks! I shall try this evening... We are headed to the vet Friday for 12 weeks shots :( and hope to get a clean, perfect bill of health with no tar attached!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Goof-off heavy duty will take off pine tar, but use it as a last resort because it is toxic. It's okay if you wash it off when done, but don't get it near the eyes, and don't let them lick it, or huff it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh she is precious! Here's hoping for a clean bill of health!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Oh yes my Princess Buttercup came in one afternoon with a pinecone growth stuck to her belly!! We used peanut butter which was a total wrestling match. I'm giggling remembering her on her back in the bathtub almost doing a full sit up trying to lick the peanut butter off faster than I could use it to get the sap off!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The worst sticky I've ever had to remove was when I came home and he had those stick-able mouse traps stuck to both ears. It was practically superglue. I thought they were securely placed under the fridge. If they can see it or smell it, they will figure out some way to get to it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
sooo adorable! i can't really remember the last time i had to get tar off a dog..might have used fingernail polish remover, but i don't think that worked very well and stunk. I think for some spots we just cut the hair off *lol* ears would be a little hard though! poor baby.
she's a doll though!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The worst sticky I've ever had to remove was when I came home and he had those stick-able mouse traps stuck to both ears. It was practically superglue. I thought they were securely placed under the fridge. If they can see it or smell it, they will figure out some way to get to it.

Forgive me, but I can't stop giggling at the picture in my head of mousetraps stuck to ears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It worked!!!

I made a mixture of butter and smooth peanut butter. I rubbed it in on all her pine tar spots, and with a warm dish rag, massaged it out.
It is all gone. Butter + Peanut Butter = Magic! Thanks everyone!:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Umm, yeah, Mabel got quite a few licks in! There are a few more little spots on her big feet, maybe after the 12 week check up tonight at the vets office, Ill work on those - she'll get a few more licks then!
Thanks for everyones suggestions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts