Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvey aged 7 has just had a lump excised. The vet says it's non-malignant pilomatrixoma and was unable to give advice on prevention. I understand that pilomatrixoma is abnormal cell growth around the base of hair follicles and that the only treatment when a lump appears is surgery.

Has anyone had any experience of this? And more importantly, any advice on preventing the lumps from coming up?

Thanks
Jake's and Harvey's mum

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
No way to prevent them. Certain breeds, and some individual dogs seem predisposed. Poodles are known for these; we even read about how poodles develop these lesions in _human_ dermatopathology textbooks!

Tumours of hair follicles / with differentiation to hair follicle structures classified as
basal cell tumours with various types of hair follicle differentiation (Trichoepithelioma,
Pilomatrixoma, Tricholemmoma)
CLINICAL FEATURES / PROGNOSIS: Occur in cats and dogs usually > 5 years of age.
No sex predisposition. Kerry blue terrier and Poodle are predisposed to pilomatrixoma.
Cocker spaniel and Basset hound predisposed to trichoepithelioma. Lesions are dermal and,
in the cat occur on the head and, in the dog the back, rump and shoulder. These are usually
solitary, well circumscribed, slowly growing, non-invasive lesions. May attain a large size.
Local recurrence and metastasis are rare.
TREATMENT: Wide surgical excision[/b]
Source

One of my bassets has had a few trichoep's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the information...some good bedtime reading in the .pdf! 'Wide surgical excision' in your quote explains why the wound (7 inches) is so large compared with the size of the lump (walnut).

It was a relief to learn that Harvey's lump wasn't malignant. The poor Hound hasn't a clue and is in no pain...just doesn't understand why his foot is bandaged (i.e. to stop him ripping the stitches out!!)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis has had a few of the tricheops (what hasn't my poor little guy had?) One got infected and that was removed but I was told not to worry on the others. Do you think they should be removed as a matter of course?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Not necessarily. The ones Buffet had either grew at a fairly steady pace, or were in a bad location, like under her collar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts