Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More and more pills are being prescribed for Hank.. Which means it's getting more and more difficult for me to give them to him.

I've tried; sticking the pill in cheese and wrapping it in ham, tried bread pockets, tried sticking them in his favorite treats, tried wrapping it in bacon, tried putting the pills in a marshmallow, tried smothering the pill in peanut butter then covering it in cheerios, tried a hotdog, a banana slice, an apple slice, pork chop piece, chunk of meatloaf, tried crushing it and putting the dust on his food... but still, no luck. I've tried so many ways and the only way that works is by me just putting it down his throat and tilting his head till he swallows, but that's difficult and I don't want to hurt him accidentally..

Hank has one crazy nose and can detect something he doesn't want to eat. I remember Houndmomma talking about how Flash loves eating poop, which is the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried. Haha

I'm going to try baking the pill into his home made treats...

Anyone got any suggestions or houndy stories of their experiences?

·
Registered
17 Posts
give him bread with peanut butter with no pill for a while. then add a pill later. i also put them in hot dogs and hide the hot dogs in the food dish. Trooper has never even suspected there are pills in his food. welll good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
When you give him the pill treat, are you only giving him just that? With our dogs we give two treats, one with a pill and one regular one in quick succession. That way they are more likely to gobble down the first treat just to get the second one. I also recommend the greenies pill pockets.

·
Registered
973 Posts
We have this problem with Harley. The best solution is to tell your vet about your problem ahead of time. Sometimes they can prescribe stuff in liquid form or smaller pills.

We have a pill cutter and I find that one of the best ways is to cut them into smaller pieces and then give them treats one after the other really quickly so that they swallow without stopping to see what it is.

Or, stand in the kitchen like you are preparing food and "drop it accidentally". That has worked for me too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've tried so many ways and the only way that works is by me just putting it down his throat and tilting his head till he swallows,
That's what I do! For me, it's actually much easier to just open up my hounds' mouths and toss the pills down instead of trying to disguise them in anything. Especially with Ninja, who likes to play with stuff for half an hour before eating it!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have to give my two calming tablets before car rides and Virga just gobbles hers up. But Doppler I have to open his mouth, shove the pill way deep down his throat, and then close his mouth really quick until he swallows. That's the only way he'll eat these tablets. But his Sentinel he just gobbles up. I don't understand it...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Our Mr. Trooper the wienie dog was like that and wouldn't eat pills either. Like the other dogs here, we had to put it in the back of his tongue and close his snout till he swallowed it.

we've been appreciating Worm's ability to eat pills with his food; not sure if he doesn't notice or just doesn't care. we hope it's a skill that will be there for life...! the downside is that he also eats rocks, dirt, sticks, apricot pits, and pretty much everything/anything....

we've another idea too, but need to find a link for it....

after these messages, we'll be right back....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Noonie didn't like pills much, but we found if we made him a little peanut butter sandwich we could hide the pill inside and he'd just gobble it up. At one point we were giving him a joint supplement. This was a chewable and supposed to taste good. He wanted nothing to do with this, so I resorted to crushing it and dissolving it in some broth and mixing it in his food. No problems after that.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I just use the "pop it down the throat" method too. Quick and simple.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I've tried so many ways and the only way that works is by me just putting it down his throat and tilting his head till he swallows, but that's difficult and I don't want to hurt him accidentally
I have owned a pill spitter in the past hiding a pill never worked and even the holding the head till swollowing failed as she learned to fake the swallow so just shoving the pill down the throat as far as possible was the only successful solution. Giving a treat afterward helped mitigate the trauma of the experience and get her so it did not become a struggle to even ger her mouth open. So basical pop the pills and reward afterward is my suggestion,

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You can get pill poppers to use as well. You can get them from a vet and probably at a decent pet store like Petsmart. I use them for my cats, as it lets me get the pill way back and avoid sticking my hands in a mouth full of sharp teeth. Luckily, my dogs never needed the pill popper. Even Zoey, who took Deramaxx daily, was good about pills. Molly gets her Prednisone in a chunk of cheese (Winston also gets cheese because he'd incite a riot if Molly got some and he didn't). So far she hasn't become wise to me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My neighbor's dog is gigantic and doesn't tolerate being manhandled (it's a long story and my neighbors are not to blame for his behavior), so she's had a really hard time getting him to take his pills. After trying just about everything, she's having good luck with the greenies. She even cuts them in half to make them last longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts