Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pilgrim and Capital field trialing
a little rain hail and snow but the dogs seem to like it. Yesterday's dogs 6 entries Charlie 1st, Patrick 2nd,Chewy 3rd,Isaac 4th ,nbq gus...Champions Homer 1rst,Aces 2nd,Harmony 3rd,Emma 4th Nbq Truffles. ......Girls. Hermione 1rst,Bitsy 2nd, Razzy3rd, Jemma 4th. ..Pilgrim Champions 1rst Homer, 2nd Emma, 3rd Aces, 4th Aja ,Truffles nbq.... Notable Homer won both trials , The first field match up of 2 double grands Homer and sister Emma and Jemma got called back in first and worked her way up to 4th LOL. New Dual Champion DC Roaming Bede Quiet Storm ..Patrick. One more day

SUNDAY EOWYN third Harmione fourth Nancy Richmond's. Allie First and Bitsy second. John Meahl 's Gemma NBQ in the Bitch Class. DOGS Denise Rushworth 's Chooie First Maria Zenigon's Patrick second, Sensational Isaac third, Belinda Lamphear's Charlie fourth and Gus NBQ

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Requirements for field Champion. 2 wins, 8 placements, 60 point.

EOWYN is half way to Champion 4 placements fraction over 30 points and two wins

HERMIONE has 1 win now 3 placements and 16.25 points. 1 first, 1 second, and 1 fourth all in ten dog classes

·
Registered
87 Posts
How do you recommend training your basset for field trials? I have an opportunity to take my dogs up north next spring to enter them in a trial and have no idea where to start.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of our dogs training is at field trial to be perfectly honest. Macey Hermione and Eowyn had the advantage of chasing bunnies in a starter pen not an option on the west coast and not one here on the east very often. It can help sending a young dog with an experienced dog and they tag alon and hopefully get involved in a sight chase to kick in instincts other methods include using a rabbit/raccoon roll cage but that requires a live rabbit roll gages go for around $60-100 . Finding a kinda fresh road kill and using it as a drag for scenting or using rabbit scent and a dummy for a drag Rabbit scent can be purchased at gun dog supply stores relatively cheap

Basset and rabbit in roll cage video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QndSI6NItj0

rabbit trailing scent
Rabbit Scent for Dog Training - 2 oz.. $3.75 (Save $0.25)

how to build a training pen need acreage though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hT47Xw6se0

Starting Pen Design - Part 1

starting a Pup

Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums - Starting Your Basset Hound in the Field

You may want to contact "Worm" via personal message she can probably supply contacts in WA that can help get you started i know a bunch of Field trialer on the west coast but who is in WA Or and Northern and Southern CA I'm not sure.

http://www.basset-bhca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=341&Itemid=111

Spring trial schedule is not out yet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts