Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new here just wanted to say hi to everyone! i have a female bassett (tri-color) that is almost a year and a half old, the question i have is....her nose is starting to turn a pink color? the vet has says its a normal pigment change but im wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that she is on phenobarb for epilesy? anyone have this prob as well?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Your basset probably has a condition known as "snow nose", which is very common in many breeds. It usually occurs in huskies, white bulldogs, any type of dog that is primarily white. Here is a good link about this:
www.canismajor.com/dog/nose.html
Hope this helps--the phenobarb shouldn't have anything to do with the nose color, I shouldn't think.
Cindy

·
Registered
4 Posts
don.t remember where I heard of this but it has worked for many dogs with your baby's condition.
Most dogs who lose there pigmentation of their nose dogs are affected but it certainly makes you think twice about plastic...although we choose to ignore the warnings.
ie: when microwaving...not to let the plastic shrink down and touch your food

...when they where studying e-coli, they couldn't understand why some of the specimens where dying before they could get it under the microscope.
The ones that where dying were cut on wood cutting boards while the ones that thrived were cut on plastic...some even continued to live on the plastic after they were run through the dishwasher!

Sorry, I tend to run on.

Good luck with your baby's nose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
don.t know what happened but the main info was edited out. most dogs who have this condition are eating or drinking from plastic containers.
Hope this works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have had delt with this issue forr many years with a Bassett, he past recently at the age of 10 but delt with this for about 5 years. I think you may see the early stages of Solar dermatitis witch is sometimes called Collie Nose. It is esentially a loss of pigment an reaction of that loss to solar rays. My boy had lesions on his nose that would get very raw and scabbed over in summer and settle to a tender pink in the winter. It is dificult to treat asa type of sunblock would help but he used to lick it off in mere seconds. shields were rubbed off and he just didn't like a hat. One method of dealing with this is to tatoo the nose black to protect it. I found a=out about this too late. If you e-mail me I can show you some photo's of what this looks like. I wish I would have caught this early as it took a couple summers to become very raw.

Good luck, Lyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts