Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pictures of black and tan/red bassets? I was given a basset with papers, she is 3 yrs old and only has a small white stripe on her chest. She is also quit small and just looks different than my tri's....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check out the new pics of my 3 year old basset in the photo gallery :)
I mean all black and tan bassets, with only a patch of white on the chest, a local breeder was telling me they are rare because most of them have been bred out because of breeding with tri's and mahogony and white bassets...

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is just chance from breeding - she's a tri. I've seen some tri's with no white at all, some that are nearly solid black with no brown, and some with just a speck of white. They are all tri colored. There is a lot of size and appearance variation in the breed..anywhere from 35lbs and up.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
a local breeder was telling me they are rare because most of them have been bred out because of breeding with tri's and mahogony and white bassets...
While there is a gentic componet to how much white spoting occurs There are considerable environmental factors as well. Pigment cell start out at the nueral crests and migrate to the rest of the body Where the pigment cells don't migrate too remain white. Which is why common areas for white are the feet, muzzle, tip of the tail, belly , and chest. There are environmental factors as basic a uterine temp that effects/delays cell migration all the factors involved in white spoting are clearly not understood.

anywhere from 35lbs and up
There are some females around that run smaller than than Won't be winning any conformation show though,

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
FWIW Zephyr 42 lb mostly black on slight amount of tan and white, No white on the tail, White on Muzzle, spots of white front feet, strip around the neck to chest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dolly is so small, if I didn't have papers on her I would swear she was mixed with a daschound, I will try to post a pics of her....

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ruby is black and tan NOW....but she was born as a tricolor basset. the tan she has on her face used to be dark brown...but as a 11 yr old, her hair has changed color.

She's be the first to tell you that a 'girl has a right to change her haircolor.'

;-)

Janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Mikey T mentioned the spotting or ticking on Bassets. Most people
find Bogie very unusual, becuse they have never seen a Basset
with as much spotting as Bogie. On his registration papers he
is listed as a tri-colored.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My little Bailey dog has no white just black and tan. She had a fine white strip on her chest but it has gone away. She is 4 months old now

·
Registered
878 Posts
Curly, you're lucky having a pretty little Basset who is nice and neat... she will be much easier to lift into the car than my pair (68lbs and 70lbs) and I have had to buy a ramp for them to walk up and down and it folds up to fit into the back of my Golf's hatchback!

Perhaps if she was a rehomed hound she didn't get a very good start, foodwise, so hasn't grown as big as some, or maybe her parents weren't big dogs. My two's parents are both big Bassets so chances were their offspring would also be big. Mine were spoilt with their food too, which probably helped to build them up.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
One on my avatar. How about 6 out of seven puppies. If you go to any shows there are a lot of blanket black tri dogs being shown.Probably not as many as red and white or tri but they are not rare and no one is trying to breed them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts

We met some puppies earlier this year from a local breeder. The one kind of top left in the first pic, crawling up Martins leg is what we call Mahogany - its basically all brown with just a small white band around the neck, and white tip to its tail. This one also had 2 white tipped paws. The second pic is a Lemon, also a really interesting colour combo.
Our pup Lexie is the bigger one in the first pic, she is a tri, but has very little brown, just a few patches on her face.

In the same breeders previous littler was one nicknamed Penguin who came out almost totally black ;) I will have a rummage in my photo archive and see if I took any pics of him when we met.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts