Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is from my last litter, she has an underbite and her upper jaw twists to the left.

There was a bitch puppy who got stuck during delivery and was there for quite a while. I don't know for sure, since she and the following pups were delivered by the vet so I got them mixed up, but we think Macy may have been the stuck puppy and possibly the compression set her face growing in an odd direction. Neither parent's family has a history of mouth problems.

[ February 13, 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

[ February 13, 2005, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it isn't causing pain or interfering with the normal processes of life, its no big deal.

Doc has a crooked leg and an overbite of nearly 1". Neither bother him and he loves every minute of life. If it doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me. (Except for eating poop...that's just not good!) :D

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I think she's adorable, the nose gives her character. Not like she needs any extra character lol.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My sister has a German Shorthair who has a horrible underbite and a crooked mouth.

He's darling --- he's the spitting image of Popeye.

This little girl will grow up to be darling, too (although I'm not sure how she can get any sweeter than she already is!)

·
Registered
939 Posts
question,was this the same litter that had a problem with the leg? or was this a different litter? and how did the leg thing turn out? just wondering how things turned out? this breeding game is tough to figure out.you always have awesome pups from very good blood lines,and once in a while you can't catch a break and things go wrong,i know it happens with some of us field trialers,you get some pups from a breeding that are just killer,than you repeat the breeding and for one reason or another the next one is a dud.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the same litter, his foot's still a bit "off" but not nearly as noticeable as it was. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I must remember to get a pic of it.

On the other hand, the bitch I am keeping is stunning, another sister just won group 1 at a match, and a male has also gone to be a show dog.

·
Registered
939 Posts
glad to hear the foot has come around.did you contact any one else who may have used the stud to see if they had any problems? if you use this stud again would you try a different bitch or the same one?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think anyone has used him except me and his owner. I intend to try him on a different bitch. Aside from the foot issue, I'm really pleased with the pups I got. But Ginger is too old for a second litter and I don't do repeats as a rule.

[ February 13, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

A

·
0 Posts
Miriam, you're killing me!! Miriam offered me this puppy and I had to say no because of my astronomical vet bills last year. She's wonderful!! I love her face! Molly has about a 1" overbite (her lower jaw is too small) and I love her "look". Especially when she lays on her back and her buck teeth hang out. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
In picture #3, she is a dead-ringer for my Pearl, complete with crooked little mouth Come to think of it, the vet did mention Pearl has a 'wry mouth', but it doesn't stop her from eating (!) or taking her dumbbell or articles. Your girl is really, really cute.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think she's adorable, Miriam! The pic of her straight-on looks like she's very dissatisfied with having her picture taken! She's a very pretty pup and I don't think it detracts from her looks a bit. She might snore, more, though, with the crooked nose! Lovely markings.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry to be catching on to this late...I'm sure you all know much more about this pairing than I do (being new here) but if you've gotten one puppy with leg problems and now one puppy with face problems, would it be advisable to reuse the same dam OR sire? Do BH's have to go through any health testing prior to breeding? I should say 'should they' not do they 'have to'.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My vets believe that the nose is "just one of those things", possibly from being stuck in the birth canal, not genetic. And the leg (one pup out of 8) I think has to do with diet and too rapid growth. This dog has sired many other litters with no problems, and neither parent's family has a history of leg or mouth problems.

[ February 14, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry...I thought when you said no one had used him but you and his owner he maybe only had had the 2 litters. I'm still interested in learning what type of health testing BH's have to undergo so breeders are able to guarantee the puppies. Also, what would be considered a reputable breeder in the BH world and not a byb?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I would encourage everyone to make use of the search tool. I use it all the time. ;) I did a quick search for previous threads that pertain to the topics raised by Dudley's Mom. In addition to the posts themselves, the links provide valuable information:

The Role of Canine Health Databases

Breeding. What's that All About?

How do I Know?

If you would like to further discuss the questions you raise Dudley's Mom, I would suggest starting new topics so we don't have multiple threads going on under one topic.

[ February 15, 2005, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't "have to" do any testing, in fact in this area (Ontario/Quebec) I'm not aware of any breeder doing regular testing, although the National club is starting to recommend them. I've been doing CERF clinics which are readily available here, and lately I've started testing thyroid before breeding because I've had a puppy buyer report hypothyroidism in her pup. All mine have their TT (temperament test)Otherwise, I know my line is prone to allergies, you can't test for that but I have a good idea where they come from so I avoid going back to those lines. I've been watching my pups for 4 generations and I personally knew most of the dogs for 3 generations before I started breeding (I was "in" bassets for a good 10 years before I started breeding), so I have a good idea what problems to watch for and where they are.

Everyone's definition of BYB is different, but mine is: has a bitch, quality, health, bloodlines, possibly even registration is not important. They have no idea what to look for in a dog or even any idea that there is a standard. They breed to the nearest available male. They don't participate in events (show or field) to ascertain the worth of their dog. They don't network with other breeders. They usually sell the pups too young, often at 6 weeks, I've seen as young as 4-5 weeks. The pups are not likely to have shots and may not have seen a vet. They have no knowledge of the breed, it's quirks, it's problems, outside of their own pet(s). They can't advise you of health or behavior issues that crop up in your puppy, (ie they' won't know what to tell you if your 10 month old pup starts limping) in fact they probably don't want to hear from you after you've left with your pup. They're unlikely to be available for you 5-10 years later if you can't keep your dog (for whatever reason) and take it back. (I've taken back two of mine at 8 years of age, originally loving families whose circumstances changed) And they're unlikely to be willing/able to give you a refund or replacement if your pup has a problem. I don't think BYB's are "bad" people, just ignorant. As a groomer, I've seen so many pet owners breed their allergic, nasty, shy or unsound dogs it just makes me cringe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts