Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Elvis. He has a bit of a barking problem. He likes to bark in the middle of the night and we have to put him in the house. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that Elvis has a dog house and his own big outdoor kennel with a roof that he shares with the beagle. They are perfectly comfortable outside. I guess they just want to be in the house with us, but if we put them inside at night while we are sleeping we have to put them each in a dog carrier in the kitchen because otherwise they would destroy the house!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome to the Board!! I also have an Elvis and he says Woof to your Elvis. Any basset named Elvis is a very handsome houndie.

Mine all sleep inside - Elvis is always curled up under the covers snuggled up next to me. Bassets are very social creatures and do think of their humans as part of the pack. I suspect he feels very left out not being inside with you. Many people crate their dogs at night in their houses and it seems to work out really well. A basset barking all night would be a definite problem.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sadie always sleeps in the house, right in the bed with us. I couldn't imagine leaving her outside all night. With her being in our bed I know if she is waking up and wants out, I put her out and then she goes right back to bed & sleep. I do keep a baby gate across our bedroom doorway so if she does get up without me knowing it she can't go far and I will eventually hear her. We have folding doors on the bedroom and she can open them that is why I have to use the baby gate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sleeping arangements

My Lea I don't trust so she's locked in with me in my bedroom with a baby gate. Kit is a loner and sleeps downstairs on his futon :)

Lou

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mine also sleep inside. Copper sleeps in our room beside or in the bed and the girls sleep in the den in their kennel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like he'll have to be an inside dog:) I actually tried to talk my husband into letting him in the bed with us last night, but he really does shed too much. It's probably not a good idea. He is a good snuggler though. We all took naps on the couch Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Before I "spoiled" Wilson by letting him sleep on the bed, with me and the kids, hubby just usually leaves and finds another place to sleep, Wilson has a great huge dog bed pillow that he slept on. Now if he wants to sleep on it he must chase baby Bella the cat off it. She likes to stretch out and there is no more room on the bed, but Wilson's dog bed which is on the floor beside our bed is puuuurrrrrrfect for her.

Wilson doesn't like to be outside without his humans and God forbid he should see a strange cat or someone should walk by our house, he would arrrroooooo like crazy no matter what time. Outside in early morning and late evening must be closely supervised or between him and the cockatoo, I will surely be evicted from my neighbourhood.

Susan and Wilson

B

·
0 Posts
Elvis is so cute. I ditto the above posts. If I'm in another room for more than ten minutes, he's looking 4 me.Tummy Boy's Mom :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also agree with everyone else. Rosco and Cletus sleep in the office in their crates next to each other. If they are left outside to long at night, phase one is them staring in the sliding glass door. Phase two is a melodic singing of "Arooofs" that go back and forth.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree with the group here, although I tend to favor the baby gate idea. If they sleep inside at night I'm sure if you find an area to block them in - maybe the entire bedroom or just a portion of it, they will be very happy. Not to say that you might not have a period of adjustment. Barking or not, I think it's a nice idea to have the dogs sleep inside at night. They just want to be part of the family!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts