Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in previous topics, I've been wanting to adopt for a while, and was prepared to wait for a LONG time for someone to give up a young male hound.

I already have a basset hound, Snoopy, who is 2 years old (today!) and a springer spaniel.

Last night, I had a phone call to say one was available, but he'd been neglected, had an unhappy life etc.

So of course, I've brought him home.

In the pics, I think he's scarily skinny, it's worse in the flesh - nothing worse than seeing a hound with sticky out hip bones and ribs.

Below are some pics I've taken of him today, these are first day snaps and of course, I'll be posting more pics of him as he settles into his new forever home. He's come from a horrid first three years of his life, to a home where he'll have full time company, regular walks, and of course food. Surprisingly, he's a happy bouncy little thing. Snoopy is slightly put out, but he's been getting better over the past few hours.

The Canine Nicole Richie:

FEED ME!

Got to be food round here somewhere:

Some birthday present :( :

X marks the treat:

GIMME!

GIMME GIMME!

First to fall asleep is a LOSER:

Scar tissue:

He has been fully vet checked and vaccinated and castrated, and other than being underweight, he has a clean bill of health. A lot of TLC & time & patience for both SkinnyPup and SulkyBoy will work wonders...

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
He's just darling! (BTW, I think his name is kind of humorous, especially if he's as wild as you mentioned in your other post.:D) With a little TLC, he'll fatten up in no time and be a great play-buddy for Snoopy. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
He's so handsome; I can't imagine how it must feel for him to be in such a good home after what he has been through. Snoopy's looks are hysterical; he does look like he's sulking. I'm sure after he stops sulking and feeling sorry for him self they'll be good friends.

·
Registered
43 Posts
He is so handsome, what stunning eyes he has! And the pictures of Snoopy looking rather miffed in the background are so funny! I am sure they will end up being great friends. Congratulations on your new addition! :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I love the black/brown markings on his face- I think he'll be a real beauty once he fills out a little. I can't stop laughing at poor Snoopy's expression in those pictures! :lol:!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What a beautiful boy!!! He is going to forget all of his past very soon, and settle right in with his new family.

Snoopy looks less than thrilled. :D I know Bo wishes everyday that Moose would just disappear!

Look forward to seeingmore pics of him as he fattens up!

Sandy

·
Registered
360 Posts
How wonderful!! He's beautiful ...and his eyes say a lot. He still has hope. He will be running with the pack in no time at all. And being a Basset, he'll put meat on those bones real quick! I rescued a skin-and-bones Basset and he gained the needed weight almost too quickly :D

We'll be looking forward to the photos of his progress. You did a great thing today. Give him lots of hugs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just knew I had to take him home when I turned up at the rescue home, and he'd just been bathed and he came bounding over to the gate. He's so springy and energetic and... HAPPY.

I *actually* cried when he settled down in his new bed with his new blanket and the one toy he brought with him, and gave a huge contented sigh.

Snoopy just harumphed in the background.

I spent ages this afternoon just sitting on the floor cuddling all three of my babies. *sigh*

·
Registered
813 Posts
Awww, he's a darling, and Snoops will adjust. George pouted for weeks after Gigi moved in but he's adjusted, too. And he was an only before, while Snoopy ought to be used to having a sibling. As for the weight, don't worry. He'll pack it on in no time. Gigi was skin and bones when we got her, too, and now she's just a PUDGE. :lol:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if there's one thing bassets do well, it's pouting!

*have fallen in love with the way that benji's face markings make him look like his nose hasn't been put on straight!*

*and that the inside of his ears is orange*

·
Registered
775 Posts
He is adorable and Snoopy is TOO funny. Congradulations and give Snoops a birthday hug from me :)

Karen

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Congratulations!!! He is a beautiful guy. Snoopy sure looks very put out with his new sibling, but I bet they will be best buds before long.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Bless you for taking in this poor boy, who will be quite lovely once he's filled out. Makes me angry when I see this, even though I know abuse and neglect happen too frequently. Happily, SkinnyPup has found his way to a better life with you. And SulkyBoy ;) . It looks like your spaniel has accepted him already!

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a wonderful addition to your already handsome family!! Snoopy is too handsome for words!! I love that look on his face! I look forward to many more pictures of the trio!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Beautiful! Congratulations on your new arrival...hope he settles in well and soon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One day in, and all is good so far.

We like walks in the forest, I now know the joy of TWO immovable objects on leashes. Snoopy has to double check EVERYthing Benji sniffs, just to make sure the new boy hasn't missed anything. It's like walking two vaccuum cleaners. Rusty's arthritis is very bad at the moment, so he stayed in bed. Normally, when that happens, Snoopy won't go for a walk, but with Benji needing to know the routes we take, he was more than happy to come along.

Had the added shock of taking the boys into the forest, and letting them both off their leash. When they got too far ahead, I called Benji, and he CAME STRAIGHT BACK. Then we both had to run after Snoopy who was having none of it. He's obviously not used to so much exercise, as his poor legs are all stiff tonight, he's walking round like a wooden dog.

We've had a morning of bouncing and basset wrestling, small but frequent meals (don't want to overstretch his belly so soon), no mess at all in the house, and lots of cuddles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts