Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I have a 9 month old basset girl named Daisy Mae. We have been plodding along with her puppy chow since we've had her, but for the past week and a half she has no interest in eating the puppy chow at all. I do not give her table scraps/food off our plates because I do not want to incourage that behavior or make her sick from the too rich food. But, she will basically get so hungry she will binge eat on the puppy chow and then will vomit everything up. Bulimia for puppies???? Daisy's abdominal sounds are good (everything is flowing correctly), I feel no signs or symptoms of a mass/blockage, she has had decreased bowl movements, but I know that is due to her decreased eating of food, she is still drinking water and urinating healthly. I have noticed some weight loss at this point. I am unsure how much, but as of today I am starting to monitor that as well. (Is it obvious I work in the medical field?) Our vet was closed yesterday and will remain closed until Monday. My main question is: Is she trying to tell me that she is ready to switch food? If so, should I remain with a type of puppy blend or go on to an adult blend? Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks,

Worried Mommy of Daisy Mae :confused:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Never hurts to have her checked out by the vet to rule out a physical issue, but it's pretty common at this age for them to become "picky eaters" because their growth is slowing down and the don't need as much food.

Just keep with the regular meals - put it down at mealtime, give her 15 minutes to eat it, then pick it up again. She'll eat what she needs to, assuming she's otherwise healthy. Switching foods just encourages her to hold out for something "better".

·
Registered
616 Posts
When Rosco was a puppy he used to be a picky eater as well. There would be times where we would put down his food and he just wouldn't eat right away. There would be times where he'd wait most of the day to eat. Then there would be time where he would suck down his food and get sick just like your dog. To remedy both of these situations we did two things.

To get him more interested in eating food we would give him moist/canned dog food. This he had no problem eating. I would recommend that you try mixing the moist food with a bit a dry and see if that works.

The other thing to try to prevent the puppy "bulima" is a special food dish or weighted ball that prevents them from eating too quickly. Here is a link to the types that are out there.

Martha Stewart Slow Feeder Dog Bowls - Martha Stewart Pets - Dog - PetSmart

Wag Reflex: Slow Down Your Dog's Eating

·
Registered
44 Posts
add a 1/4 cup of Chef Michaels in the bowl. She will not resist it. If so, maybe a vet check up is needed.
Flash, Daisy, Luke, Boss Hogg, and my Roscoe loves Chef Michaels. I only mix it with their Healthy Weight food on weekends.(a little treat)

Hope everything works out.;)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My dog Stomps once went through a period where he wouldn't eat. He was always a skinny boy, so it really worried me. The vet couldn't find anything wrong, so I asked him--what would he give his dog to get him to eat? Mighty Dog. I laughed out loud, then ran to the store and bought a few cans. I mixed his dry food with it until he went back to eating. I never figured out the "problem". As people on here will tell you, no basset hound would ever starve to death of his own volition, so once you rule out any medical issues, just give her some time. I guarantee you'll be back on here in a couple of years asking for recommendations of diet foods!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.