Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am a new to be Basset Hound owner, I am going to pick out my pup in April and wanted to know if you all had any tips on what to look for when I go to pick my pup out. I just recently moved to Western Kentucky in the U.S. away from my entire family and am looking for a literal best friend to spend my days with. Any tips are helpful as I am a first time Basset owner.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi all I am a new to be Basset Hound owner, I am going to pick out my pup in April and wanted to know if you all had any tips on what to look for when I go to pick my pup out. I just recently moved to Western Kentucky in the U.S. away from my entire family and am looking for a literal best friend to spend my days with. Any tips are helpful as I am a first time Basset owner.
Obviously there might be a puppy in the litter who 'speaks' to you more than another, but my best advice, provided you have found a good experienced breeder, is to listen to them and take their advice. She should ask you a lot of questions, so your circumstances are known. Good breeders spend a LOT of time with their litters and over the time from birth to sale, will get to know each puppy individually. So you should get a good fit. I go by not picking the most retiring puppy, nor the big bully one - something in the middle! I had a lovely couple who had only had bitches of the breed until they just lost their last one. They knew I only had males in my latest litter, but still came to see and went off happily with one of the boys!! They listened to me.

How exciting - but be ready for a big culture shock because Bassets are quite unique!!

·
Registered
13,027 Posts
picking a puppy is a pure crap shoot for the average person they do not have enough information to make an educated quess how a particular puppy will turn out. Single Puppy temperment sets are not at all accurate. You best bet is usde a breeder you trust and tell them walt you are looking to do with your pup and temperment you desire and let them make the best match for you.

·
Registered
Sheri
3 Posts
It seems to me that you always need to focus on the breeder himself, and even with a direct choice, you should look at the puppy who loves you more. So, I chose my Dani.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts