Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have seen threads on choosing a puppy, but I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on purchasing a slightly older dog.

After locating and calling the breeder of my basset Bailey who we recently lost, I was referred by her to another, and then to another and another (all of whom were on the BHCA breeder list).

From the last referal, I am talking with a gentleman now who has 2 dogs available that are ~16 and 17 months old. Both were intended to be show dogs, but the male has front legs that turned in (was never shown), and the female was shown a few times, but there is some issue with the "drop" in her back end I think. So neither is apparantly "show worthy". The dogs are not yet fixed, but that is a requirement for the sale.

I see that the person appears to be pretty active in the club showing/judging. I have a picture of the male, and I am waiting for the pictures of the female. We were considering taking both. and they are asking a pretty inexpensive price for the dogs ($300 each), which I assume is related to the age?

Are there any specific questions you would ask in this case?

Thanks!
Julie

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Do you have any other dogs, cats or small children? I would want to know how the dogs are with other dogs, cats, kids, and what the housetraining status is. Does the dog exhibit any separation anxiety or excessive barking? And of course does the dog have any physical or emotional issues. This sounds like a great opportunity. Please keep us updated as to what you decide and how it's going. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Hello,
I have seen threads on choosing a puppy, but I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on purchasing a slightly older dog.

After locating and calling the breeder of my basset Bailey who we recently lost, I was referred by her to another, and then to another and another (all of whom were on the BHCA breeder list).

From the last referal, I am talking with a gentleman now who has 2 dogs available that are ~16 and 17 months old. Both were intended to be show dogs, but the male has front legs that turned in (was never shown), and the female was shown a few times, but there is some issue with the "drop" in her back end I think. So neither is apparantly "show worthy". The dogs are not yet fixed, but that is a requirement for the sale.

I see that the person appears to be pretty active in the club showing/judging. I have a picture of the male, and I am waiting for the pictures of the female. We were considering taking both. and they are asking a pretty inexpensive price for the dogs ($300 each), which I assume is related to the age?

Are there any specific questions you would ask in this case?

Thanks!
Julie
My friend adopted a couple of older dogs from a breeder. This is how she explained it to me at the time. Breeders breed two carefully chosen dogs for the traits and physical appearances that they want. It's hard to see exactly how a very young puppy will develope so they keep the likeliest-looking pups. These they start working with and watching how they turn out. Some may develope physical aspects that make them poor candidates to show, and some who look beautiful don't have the temperment or personality for showing. These are adopted out as pets. They are very well bred, and very well cared for, and partially or completely trained (depending on how old they are and how much time was spent with the breeder). Because the pups probably spent a lot of time with the parents, littermates, and other dogs they are properly socialized and have many other benefits of spending a longer time with other dogs (learning bite inhibition for instance).

Breeders please jump in and add to this or correct me if I was misinformed in any way. :confused: I know we have many members who are knowledgable on this subject...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Some dogs don't get along with other dogs or opposite sex dogs, or other small pets. When we were looking for a third dog we knew we couldn't have another alpha in our home (one was more than enough) so we looked for a docile, submissive male. We found one and have had zero problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My basset was 11.5 when we lost him so all three children (3,7,10) and a small cat have lived with a basset for their whole lives. I asked about how they were with kids and he thought they would be ok...but thought maybe with puppy energy they might possibly knock over the 3 year old.

They have 13 dogs that live in the house, and they are crate trained, so I presume that the two dogs know each other and get along. They also said that they are house broken (using a doggie door) and leash broken. Also said great disposition.

It seems like a great opportunity, I just want to make sure I am not missing something and everything sounds as good to the experienced people as it does to me.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We got both of our Bassets as older dogs from a breeder of show Bassets. Bubba, now ATB, was 8 months old, and he out grew his ears which barely met at his nose, so was sold for pet quality at 8 months. He had been shown as a 6 & 7 month old, was well socialized as a result, traveled well, crate trained, walked OK on a leash, used to people and noises, and was used to the breeders cats and grand kids. Our only issues when we got him were his jumping on the furniture, and having some potty issues with his new home which were quickly corrected. He became a super companion, very lovable, and loved everyone. We did go through obedience classes with him which I would highly recommend. We did have to have him neutered. At the breeders request we had him seen by our vet the first week we had him, and he passed with flying colors. If he had any issues found the breeder told us to notify her and she would come pick him up, refund our money, or replace him when she had another available. Sadly he died at age 7 from Lymphoma cancer.

We got Bogie from the same breeder after we lost Bubba. Bogie was 10 months old. Bogie was never shown, his left front paw turned out. He evidently spent a lot of time in the kennel, and was not as well socialized around people, noises, travel, leash walking, etc. as Bubba. He was crate trained, not potty trained, and just more needy. He had already been neutered. Bogie has become a wonderful loving and well behaved companion. We did have to work with him more on socialization with people (he was very timid), and we took him through Canine Good Citizen training which was awesome for him and us. We take him everywhere, he's so awesome with our grand sons now 2 and 4, and he's a great traveler in our RV.
I would get a written guarantee from the breeder on the health of the bassets and take them to your vet right away to be sure all is OK. We were given a guarantee on both of ours along with copies of their pedigree, and AKC registration papers. I would also ask if you could bring your family over for a visit, and see how the Bassets react to your family. Watch for signs of aggressive behavior, food guarding, jumping all over everyone, etc. I hope this works out for your family.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
hey are house broken (using a doggie door) and leash broken. Also said great disposition.
Not a good assumption to make. Dogs do not generalize well so a dog that is housetrained in one particular house is quite often not house trained in another. They will learn much more quickly but it is better to assume they are not housetrained and proceed from that mentality than go the other way be disapointed and have to now overcome the bad habbit they started.

As for the question on how to chose an adult dog IMHO it is easier than puppy because with an adult what you see is what you get. You need to be honest with yourself and your family and make a lest of those traits that you want in a dog and do settle for less. If you want a dog do accompany you will jogging Make sure it is up to the task. If you want a dog that like to snuggle then be sure it is one currently. The personality of a adult while not set in stone is not really moldable either.

a small cat have lived with a basset for their whole
Again depending on the prey frive of the dog and the personality of the cat this may or may not be a problem. See how the dog are with things that move quickly in front of them do they chase? how Would the cat react to being chased? again you need to make a reasistic evaluation of the traits that are important to you and your family and make sure the dog meets those. Whether it is a female or males. TRi or red and white make not a wit of difference if the dog is not compatable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input! I guess I am torn because they are ~ 7 hours away from me, so I may not be able to spend too much time before I make a decision. I do expect that I will have to do some training, and "rule setting" for our home.

As for the cat, she would keep Bailey at the top of stairs just by sitting and looking at him...he would whine until I came and told him it was ok to walk past the cat...and he was in the house first! LOL. I never saw them fight or go after each other..but I think the cat can hold it's own.

Any thoughts on getting two at the same time?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would definitely get both, just because two bassets are almost always better than one (and watching two play together is so much fun). I say go check them out! What have you got to lose other than a day of driving?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Very cool! I love having my 2. It was wierd around here with only 1.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
They are beautiful! Get them both! Get them both! =) I absolutely love the boy's "slouchy socks"!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Definitely get them! They're both beautiful. However, I will warn you in advance that you will not be able to walk down the street with them--you will be mobbed by adoring fans. Just FYI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts