Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a real fun test to see how well you know the Basset breed. It's designed with progressive questions to help someone determine the breed most appropriate to their preferences and life style. Take the test and see if you can get it to put a Basset at the top or near the top of the list. I must admit .... although close I didn't get a Basset on the top of the recommended list; the Basset breed showed up about ten breeds down the list in response to my answers.

http://selectsmart.com/DOG/

Regards .....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hmmm... My # 1 ended up being a Brittany spaniel- which is my crabby Abby- # 10 was a basset :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
French Bulldogs were on the top of my list. Bassets were 5th. Funny, because I've always loved Frenchies but never had one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmmm...labs were my "best" choice, too, but they're too large for me. I got lots of terriers, and pugs turned up on there, too. I got a bloodhound, though, is that close enough? :lol:

I guess this test just doesn't take into account for when we look in our dogs eyes and fall in love all over again, every day. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
This was interesting ... here's my "Top Ten":

#01 - Bulldog (I could never actually see myself owning one of these dogs. Honestly. *hehe* I like all dogs but bulldogs wierd me out for some reason.)

#02 - Labrador Retriever (Okay I could see this being close to the top. I adore Labs, and before I got Mocha and Beldin I would probably have chosen a lab before anything else if I had the choice.)

#03 - Pharaoh Hound (I don't even know what one of these LOOKS like! *lol*) Never heard of them before.

#04 - Basset Hound (4th place isn't so bad, considering that I don't think I would have considered owning a basset before if it wasn't for my son, the phychologist and my (ex)partner. - Heh what a story! ... BUT I wouldn't go back now ... I love my hounds!)

#05 - Irish Setter (a beautiful dog to be sure! I've met a few, adore them, however I don't think that long beautiful coat would be condusive to the children and the hectic lifestyle we have sometimes ...)

#06 - Cocker Spaniel (a little on the "small" side for me, but my dad used to own one, they're a fun, cute little animal)

#07 - Bloodhound (haha well, maybe if I lived on a bigger property out on the edge of town... these guys have lots of character though)

#08 - Pug (*hehe* Sorry, but like the bull dog pugs are just ... I don't know I don't care much for the whole flat-faced look I guess.)

#09 - Beagle (cute, funny, I've heard they can be notoriously hard to train, have no personal experience with them though so can't say - they looked adorable in the dog show though)

#10 - Dachshund (*lol* No thanks!)

Ones that I was surprised to see wayyyyy down the list instead of closer to the top were German Shepard and Siberian Husky ... I would have pegged those as my two most favorite before ...

Anyhow thanks :) This was interesting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
#09 - Beagle (cute, funny, I've heard they can be notoriously hard to train..
Belive it or not, I've heard people say that about bassets too :p

"Not too intelligent. It seems that about 90% of the brain is directly wired to the nose. Very difficult to train." Quote dog.com
http://www.dog.com/breed/Basset-Hound.asp

Hey, don't blame me for the not-to-intelligent-statement; I'm not the author. So put out the torches and put away those pitchforks will ya.

J

·
0 Posts
Taking the test was rather amusing...

• Shedding - yes please, strongly preferred
    Messy eater/drinker - most definitely preferred
    "Independent" (code word for 'listens as well as a cat does') - Oh sure!
    Would lick a burgler to death? - Sounds good to me!
    Takes over your bed & couch - yeah, I don't need em!

• The results are in....
      BASSET HOUND IT IS!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
not even on the list

OK.... basset wasn't even on my list - and there were a bunch of terriers which I would stay away from cause they are too hyper for me. My very favoritest doggie came in 16th - dachshund.

I got a Niles (my basset) because they RARELY bite, they are laid back, even tempered and just the best family dog. They don't get all tempermental and pissy, they are quick to forgive (with 2 little boys in the house sometimes a tail or ear gets stepped on) and although they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, they don't require the constant amusing that some of the "smarter" breeds do.

JMO,
MaryBeth

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
the fastest way to eliminate a basset hound on the list is by checking off the "Exclude all dogs not appropriate for kids. " box so SelectSmart.com thinks basset are inappropriate for Kids!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey T
the fastest way to eliminate a basset hound on the list is by checking off the \"Exclude all dogs not appropriate for kids. \" box  so SelectSmart.com thinks basset are inappropriate for Kids!
That's really odd because my son's phychologist said a Basset would be the perfect dog for my house because I have kids and because in her oppinion the temperment of the basset would help bring my son out of his shell.

Also most of the research I did online before getting my bassets also suggested that houses with kids would do well will basset hounds.

**boggle**

(edited to add: That's one of the reasons that actually swayed my decision actually to get bassets in the first place! *lol* Go figure.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
[attachmentid=1]wow basset not even on my list at all...really not sure if i understand their thinking on this. all i know we have never loved a animal as much as we love chloe......i mean it was love at first sight.......can't picture us with out her now........they are more addicting than a drug lol

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts