Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tina took 2 big fits in the space of 30 mins last week and the vet has now put her on phenobarbital 2 tablets twice a day. Has anyone else had experience of this drug?
Tina is very spaced out and unsteady on her feet and has an appetite far greater than normal (if that is possible) :rolleyes:
The vet says that Tina needs to be on the medication for 2 to 3 weeks before he will take a blood test to check her levels and see if the medication needs to be increased, decreased or stay the same.
Rowan can't understand why Tina won't play any more and just sits looking at her.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Tina and Rowan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes I do have experience with this. Kit was put on it about a year ago. It was added to the potassium bromine he already was taking. Honestly I didn't see a difference except for his appetite he will eat anything! He even ate one of my pj's and it took a looong time before that side effect went away in his case. As for being disoriented etc. there was no change in him. I must say though that Kit is a very very hyper dog and being disoriented and sleeping more are common side effects as well as drinking more.

My Kit has been fit free for over a year now *crossing fingers* and I'm hoping he'll stay that way. Aren't they horrid to have to watch?

Lou

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lou, yeah it is really scary watching them fit.
Tina hasn't been put on potassium bromide yet, the vets here in the UK like to try the phenobarbital first and then add the potassium bromide later.

Really pleased that Kit has been fit free for a year now. How old is he and when did he start fitting??

Tina was a rescue dog and had her first fit with us earlier this year when she was just over 2 years old. I have been unable to find out if she had fits before we got her though.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Really pleased that Kit has been fit free for a year now. How old is he and when did he start fitting??

Tina was a rescue dog and had her first fit with us earlier this year when she was just over 2 years old. I have been unable to find out if she had fits before we got her though.[/b]

FWIW I lost a pup many years ago to epilepsy. On both Pheno and potasium bromide and the seizures were never undercontrol. The longest she went was 66 days without a seizure but 2 weeks was typical.
Phenobarbitol can destroy the liver. You need to have fairly frequent liver function tests done. We almost lost our dog to liver failure from Pheno even with monthly testing but because the siezures were never under control she was at or near max doseing, You mentioned 2 siezure 30 minutes apart. Cluster siezure or status siezures ( long continuous siezure) can kill a dog. If I had it to do over again I would insist on a persription for liquid Valium so it could be administered analy in the event of a cluster or status siezure. see

HOME TREATMENT WITH RECTAL DIAZEPAM FOR CLUSTER SEIZURES IN DOGS
By W.B. Thomas DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology)

"While a single seizure of short duration is rarely life-threatening, status epilepticus is a medical emergency requiring prompt treatment. Continuous seizure activity lasting 30 to 60 minutes can lead to profound, life-threatening abnormalities and brain damage. 2 Although cluster seizures do not fulfill the definition of continuous seizure activity, they nevertheless represent a serious condition that can progress to status epilepticus. The goal of treatment is to quickly stop the seizure and provide support for the patient. Typically, this involves urgent veterinary care, including administering anti-seizure medication by vein. The financial and emotional distress of repeated emergency treatment is a common reason for a client to have an epileptic pet euthanized.

Why is rectal administration of diazepam recommended?
Rectal administration of diazepam (valium) by the client is a safe method of home treatment of cluster seizures in dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.3 Diazepam belongs to the class of drugs known as benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines are the treatment of choice for the emergency treatment of seizures because they are safe, work quickly, and are effective against many types of seizures. Veterinarians typically administer diazepam by vein to quickly stop a seizure, but most clients are not adept at intravenous injections. Absorption of diazepam after injection into the muscle is variable and unpredictable and may cause muscle damage.4 Giving diazepam by mouth is difficult and hazardous when the dog is actively seizing, and absorption after oral administration is slow and unpredictable.4 On the other hand, rectal administration of diazepam results in higher and earlier blood levels compared with either oral or intramuscular routes, making this route of administration ideal for home treatment of cluster seizures.4"

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry took so long to get back to you! Kit had his 1st fit on November 14th 2004, he was 5 at the time.

At first he would just have the odd one then he started to have them in shorter time frames. The vet put him on the potassium 1st and that worked for 6 months then they started again and one time he had 2 in a row. That's when I started him on the pheno.

Every Saturday I can't wait to add one more week fit free and I'm hoping he stays that way for the rest of his life but I think that's just wishful thinking on my part :unsure:

I've documented all his fits, the time, his actions, etc on my calenders over the years. Now my camera is never far from me and if he has a fit I'm hoping to be able to tape it to show the vet.

Best of luck to you!

PS: I do have Valium on hand also, just in case and Kit gets tested once a year to make sure the levels of meds in his system are good and he gets a full blood workup.

Lou

·
Registered
87 Posts
That seems like an awfully big dose. Lucille is on 3/4ths of a tablet per day. Lots of drool to you!

·
Registered
284 Posts
The tablets per say don't really give the dosage because you can have different milligrams per tablet. Maybe 2 tablets a day are less than your 3/4 tablet, it all depends.

Lou :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts