Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a quick question about Phantom Pregnancy. Our Basset Matilda has just finished her first season and was locked in on our deck for 4 week's so she couldn't possibly have had any contact with boys. Over the weekend her teats started to swell. As I was ever so worried I spoke to the vet and he said it's very common for dog's to do this right up to producing milk and nesting. Feeling a bit better about it after speaking with him I was just wondering if anybody else has had this? We will be having her spayed but wanted her to have one litter first......Not one she thinks she having now by the way.

Thanks Mal

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I was a teen ager I had a female basset that did the same thing. We knew she wasn't pregnant. She even swelled up a little bit.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Some bassets seem to enjoy false pregnancy. They get fat - they get boobs- they get milk - and after awhile they say enough of that and go back to normal. By the way there is no valid medical reason for her to have a litter before she is spayed.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've heard stories of dogs in a chain link kennel getting pregnant so wondered if a real pregnancy could be possible? Most decks I've seen have open areas on the sides and aren't so tall to prevent a "desperate" male from leaping over the edge.

I've heard that false pregnancies tend to run in certain lines. Have any of you breeders noticed a "hereditary" tendency?

·
Registered
797 Posts
one woman had a bitch get pregnant and claims the male in the next kennel went over the fence, did his thing and then went back to his kennel--- I have a hard time believing the last half of that, but that's the way the pups were registered and she is a "responsible" breeder ----???????

·
Registered
773 Posts
My own late Matilda (I still LOVE that name) had a couple of false pregnancies, and it's not that uncommon. I'm not sure about the hereditary factor in false pregnancies, but I suppose it makes sense.....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just curious. Why do you want a litter of puppies? The sooner she is spayed the better her chances of avoiding breast cancer as she ages. I, too,know of males that slip through "whatever" to get to a bitch. Males can smell a bitch in heat from quite aways off. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello Everyone, long time no see...

My DaisyMae went through back to back false pregnancies just before we had her spayed (my vet had me wait until she was through the false pregnancy to spay her). With the second one she was miserable with milk, we ended up using cabbage leaves to dry her up faster so we could have her surgery. I am curious if this is more a basset thing or do all breeds have this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Bella is about 4 weeks into a false pregnancy too. My vet said it was wierd that it happened because she is so young (just turned 1 on the 17th).

About what time could i expect her to start producing milk and do you reccomend anything for it to dry up faster? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts