Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used any of the PetSmart training courses? I was wondering if it may help reinforce our training of Elvis, especially if he was around other dogs having the same training?

A

·
0 Posts
I know people who have had success with the Petsmart training. We didn't do so well. The cages with the furry creatures were too close to the area they have set up for the training. Belly couldn't concentrate. He was an 11 month old BASSET ...and he wanted those hamsters and such. I had a lot of trouble keeping him on task. These things were literally 15 feet away.

I'm sure they have a good program but we decided to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
petSmart and Petco hire outside trainers. It can be rather hit or miss some are ggod some arn't. It is a good idea to watch a class to observe the instructor and how he/she interacts with the humans and the dogs along with the methods used. Will you and your dog be comfortable in that setting. Art the techniques taugh something you can use/do.

The other thing is you must also decide if you want an obedience class that is an introduction to fromal competive obedience or a "manners class"

here is a link on the distinctions keep in mind in the link "behavior training" is what I refer to as a manners class
Dog Training

HOW TO CHOOSE A DOG TRAINER
Getting Started in Obedience

Choosing a Trainer

and to expand you list of possible training site
formal obedience
AKC Club search most AKC obedience clubs offer training

Formal and Manners classes
APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) Search

CPDT (Certified Pet Dog Trainer) Search

many if not most of petsmart and petco hired trainers are either APDT or CPDT or both.

[ February 27, 2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree with Mikey T.

I took Henrietta and Winston to PetCo obidience class. I would say it helped us a lot. It educates both side, the dog and the human. I'm glad that we made this decision.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I agree with Mikey also. I took Sadie to puppy classes there. The trainer we had was VERY full of himself and didn't like Bassets! I stuck it out though, and learned what I could. He was knowledgeable, just a jerk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We took our dog stella to Petsmart and it helped with her socialization alot. She was a rescue from a shelter and we needed all the help we could get. We still go back to visit and the trainer remembers her, and gives her treats.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Personally i wasn't thrilled with Petsmart classes, although Winnie enjoyed them. Found a training center that wasn't too much more expensive...paid by the class...could attend as many as you wanted(needed)...had a variety of times...has a big play area for the dogs before/after class

1 - 9 of 9 Posts