Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here who has used a pet sitting service? I would be interested to know what your experience was like. I may find myself in a position where both of us are gone at the same time. I am trying to avoid it if at all possible and should know this week if we will require someone to come in and take care of the babies. I found one today who charges $20.00 a day, regardless of how many pets (which is good for us since we have the two dogs, two rabbits and bird :lol: ). She is well established and has many satisified customers, although I would want to talk to these people myself before bringing her into my home. Any comments you have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but have my girls scheduled for five days in November. We put Jasmine in a kennel earlier this year when we went skiing, but she came back a different dog and I swore I'd never do it to her again. Our dog sitter is actually the dog trainer that works with both of my girls. She will keep them both at her house, with her husband and two dogs, and during the day she will taking them to the training field with her. It's costing us £30 a night, but I think it will be worth it as they really like her and as our trainer, I know they'll be in good hands.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We live across the street from the college where we work.We have a college student live at the house if we have to travel without the dogs.

Here, boarding is $17 per night per dog, so for us, boarding would be $34 for both dogs. I pay the student $50 per sleep-over night- the extra $16 is for taking in mail, watering plants, general house care. It's not cheap, but it's worth it to us to not disrupt the dogs and have securtity at the house while we're away.The student likes the break from the dorm.

We've had a series of students over the years- they keep the job with us until they graduate. We just lost the young woman who did this for us for 4 years, so we interviewed new candidates through the college K-9 Club. We hope to have our new sitter for the next 4 years until she graduates.

We're lucky to have the K-9 Club as a resource- it's really worked out well for us!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My daughters, son, and I all pet-sit for several neighbors. My daughters started at age fourteen (they're twins) sitting for my friend's two eldrely Bassets. My girls took turns spending the night with the dogs and I would let them out while they were at school. Later, when my girls had after school jobs, my son started helping out. Word got around the neighborhood and other neighbors had us help them out while they took business trips, took long or short vacations, or just took day-trips. We have neighbor's house keys and, if someone is delayed for any reason we can let their dogs out. My girls get twenty dollars a day (more if multiple dogs - at one point my freind had five dogs at her house), and they share a certain amount with their brother if he helps out. Once, when we went away for a day trip we paid my son's friend to hang out at our house - his only job was to let Moe and Tally in and out, as needed. College kids work out well (my girls are now college students) and responsible high school students are good. For day trips, a responsible, trustworthy middle-schooler will work fine. My girls follow written schedules for feeding, medicating, and exercising dogs, care for houseplants, collect mail and newspapers, accept deliveries (my friend's husband runs a business from home), and even do some housecleaning.

My friend told me that what she pays my kids to sit her dogs is just a small fraction of what it costs to board her crew in a kennel, and the dogs are happier in their own home. Another neighbor would not be able to take a trip if they didn't have my girls to sit thier two small poodle-mixes - they don't do well in a kennel. I personally could never put Moe in a kennel. Not that there aren't good kennels out there - there is one very good one near us - but Moe is not just a DOG... he's my BABY. :) I don't want soemone treating him like an ordinary dog!

If you want a pet-sitter, first find someone you trust and are comfortable with. It's best if that someone lives nearby so transportation is not an issue. The person MUST be reliable. Responsibilities should be age appropriate and your sitter should know and be comfortable with your dog(s). This person should like dogs, and Bassets in particular. If the person is not someone you know you should get references and CHECK THEM OUT.

If you find the right person it will be a pleasureable experience for your dog and it will give you peace of mind. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You might inquire at your vet's office to see if they have any vet techs who do petsitting. That's where I've found my pet sitters a couple of times. It's nice to have someone that is that familiar with dog care, and your vet could certainly tell you if they were reliable.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I use both a service and a private person. I have a lady who is retired, she comes and stays with the dogs when we are gone overnight. She is the mother of a friend of mine, she loves the hounds, and she can really use the extra money, so it is a win, win situation. She charges $20.00 a night, cash. I also use a agency. They are bonded and insured. They have pet sitters in my area. The good thing about them is that they will come in the evening if you call in the morning. They have been to the house to meet the dogs, and to get all directions. Then when you need them you just call. I use them if for some reason no one will be home until late or something along those lines. They are $17.00 per visit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You might inquire at your vet's office to see if they have any vet techs who do petsitting. That's where I've found my pet sitters a couple of times. It's nice to have someone that is that familiar with dog care, and your vet could certainly tell you if they were reliable.
[/b]

That would be my first choice. Our vet has some wonderful techs that I would trust in my home with my bassets. The techs know the dogs and the dogs know the techs. Fortunately, my 82 year old mother-in-law does a fantastic job of pet sitting for us. :D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I usually have a pet-sitter stay at my house when I am gone. Luckily I have a couple of trustworthy people I can call on. But recently I had to be gone for only two nights, so instead of having a house-sitter in, my neighbor just came in and fed the dogs. I really worried that my dogs would die from the sense of abandonment, but they were NONE the worse for wear when I got home. Granted, they have dog doors and lots of neighbor-dog and people interaction. If they were cooped up in the house all day I wouldn't go with someone just feeding the dogs. But they were very happy (and a little more portly than when I left) when I got home.

My cat, however, I left at the vets because he needed daily medications. He was half dead when I got him home. I'm never, ever, ever boarding any of my animals at a kennel or vets again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
With our first basset, we were paying 25 to 30 bucks a day, with Ernest we're thinking it'll be more like 40 or 50 bucks to have an overnight sitter. Right now all of our college age sitters have moved on to the big world of work and Ernest needs more attention than an adult dog. We have had good luck taking him somewhere, but we would love it more if he could stay home.

I wish I could find a 20 buck a day sitter, but I live in Seattle, we pay that for a latte.

lala

1 - 9 of 9 Posts