Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just moved to the Washington DC area from France and have a 5 year old basset that we adopted while we lived there. He has a Virbac microchip that still lists our French contact information. We have encountered difficulty trying to update the database.

I went to a local vet who advised that I needed to contact "the company" directly; they do not involve themselves in the process.

I contacted Home Again, whom I found online, and they were able to identify the chip number, but not the information (it's a European number). They directed me to their website where it appears as though I can update the registration. However, I was advised that if he were lost, since the chip is European, it would not provide my contact information directly; people would need to know to call Home Again (therefore he would need to wear a Home Again tag). Also, there is a yearly fee.

In France there was just a one-time fee, and my French vet indicated that the process of updating the chip would be simple. I'm finding this frustrating. Any input or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

We are also looking for a vet in the DC/Northern Virginia area who has experience with basset hounds. I'm sure that most are competent, but we appreciate any recommendations.

Warm regards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi! Welcome to DC, we love it here!

I don't have any experience with microchips so I can't advise there, but I have used several vets around the area and had good experiences with all.

Alexandria Animal Hospital, on Duke Street, is excellent and they have a 24-hour emergency practice as well. Dr. Jackie Suarez is very knowledgeable about basset hounds. If you talk to her, please tell her you were referred by Lucille Murray's family. She has taken great care of Lucille for over 10 years.

I have also used Dr. McMichael at College Park Animal Hospital in College Park, MD on Baltimore Ave. near 495. They are great and a lot closer to me than Alexandria but it's a small clinic and they have limited hours. I take Lilly and Becky to CPAH.

Recently I started going up to Green Valley Animal Hospital in Ijamsville (just outside of Frederick, MD) because they had been recommended to me by Marilyn of House of Puddles (www.houseofpuddles.org) for some specialized cardiac work that Lilly needed. It's a long drive from Capitol Hill but worth it as far as cost and expertise--especially with bassets because they take care of 15+ bassets for House of Puddles.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This is probably not the route you want to go, but if you can't get your registration fixed I suppose they could be chipped here in the states. My dogs both got microchipped at PetSmart. It's a 1 time fee of approx. $35 and they put 2 chips in. 1 that is the "older version" of microchipping (since some places still have the "old" technology) and 1 that is the "newer version" of microchipping that the technology is moving towards. The newer one is good in several other countries as well.

~Heather

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you kindly for all of your advice. I especially appreciate the vet recommendations. It makes me feel much more comfortable.

Regards to all,
Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts