Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used pet insurance for their bassets? Leonard, my 2 year old basset swallowed a rock that had to be surgically removed and after paying that large bill, my husband said if it happened again we would not be able to afford it. Any recommendations or companies to stay away from?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Has anyone used pet insurance for their bassets? Leonard, my 2 year old basset swallowed a rock that had to be surgically removed and after paying that large bill, my husband said if it happened again we would not be able to afford it. Any recommendations or companies to stay away from?
I recently shopped for pet insurance and found this site useful, assuming you are in the US or Canada:
Pet Insurance Review

I ended up going with PetPlan, but I haven't had to submit any claims yet, so I can't offer any first hand advice on how they are handled. They were one of the few companies that would accept dogs as old as mine (10 and 8) and cover ALL accidents and illnesses. Many of the companies have a pre-designated list of things that they cover and exclude. Just about all companies exclude pre-existing conditions, though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm using VPI,, seems to be pretty good, but they cover 80% of what they consider average price, not of what the actual charge is. But the plan I have covers check ups, dental cleanings, spay and neutering, and up to $50 a year for heartworm medicine. Seemed the best for what I needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts