Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker for a while but I'm finally getting a basset at the end of August. I'm checking into pet insurance because you never know what could happen and I would hate to not have the money when my baby needs it or run up a huge credit card bill.

VPI and Pet Health are the two companies that I have found so far. I'm leaning towards VPI because they are cheaper and the coverage seems better. Plus at VPI they offer a routine care plan that offers some benefits for annual exams/shots and things like that.

Pet Health charges extra for bassets (no explanation) and they also have higher rates. Also, they have a lifetime benefit maximum. So, it seems they aren't the best.

Does anyone have any experience with pet insurance? If so, who is your provider and how much are the annual rates for your basset? VPI was around $310 per year with the routine care plan and Pet Health was $457 per year.

Thanks,

Daisy

·
Registered
932 Posts
I wish I had done this when the girls were younger. It would have paid for itself several times over. The people I know who have VPI are really happy with it. Now that my girls are 8 years old, the premiums are pretty steep, but I may go ahead anyway. Do you have a basset picked out yet? Exciting times ahead for you.......

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've had VPI on my cat since he was about a year. Cost is $14.53 per month. He had an upper respiratory infection before I got the insurance so that wouldn't be covered for 2 years. But for just a bottle of amoxicillin it wouldn't be worth submitting anyway. I looked into getting it for Roady at the same time but it would have been $50+ a month based on his age. And with the pre-existing and genetic conditions exclusions it probably wouldn't have paid for much. I would be curious if they'd pay for bloat surgery in the breeds that appear to have a genetic predisposition?
Here's what the Standard Plan pays for various procedures.

And the amount reimbursed by the Superior Plan Also these figures are several years old.

But if I ever got a young dog I would definitely get the insurance. My vet even said she'd consider it for her dog in the event he needed chemotherapy.

For more information on VPI seeVPI Pet Insurance

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have VPI on both dogs and cats. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, prices for everything are wildly inflated, so I figure I get back about half the cost of each procedure, medication, etc. In a good healty year, I lose some money on the monthly payments, but boy, one bad disease, and it really helps to have half the cost covered. And, they are prompt and reasonable about what they cover. For example, when our Theodore had cancer, they paid for about half of all the treatments. the treatment total was probably $4500, and I got well over $2000 back from them. You'll probably do better in areas where the vet prices aren't so high.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
off to the topic a bit.....sorry.
Hi Sharon, I am from San Jose, CA.
Are you going to Novato 4th of July Basset Parade? let me know. May be we can meet up.

One of the benefits from my company is Pet Insurance thru VPI.
I checked how much will it be for my 8 years old basset, and with a corporate discount I have to pay around $250 per year. I have 2 bassets, so $500 per year. Anyway, I didn't bother to take it. cause we hardly have to go to vets.

But recently Winston had a surgery and Henrietta had a dental procedure, both of these add up to $ 1500.

All I'm trying to say is: if you hate to make a difficult decision about your dog's health in a future, then Pet Insurance sounds like a really good idea.
But if you would like to make a decision later on, then I would skip an insurance.
I hate insurance company in general. I think we are as a consumer always lose at the end. The company will try to find something to against you soon or later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh, how I wish we had gotten pet insurance for our Rosie. We spent thousands of dollars for her when she was diagnosed with lymphoma. When she started having breathing problems she stayed in the university pet teach hospital and the bill was $3100. We elected to put her on chemo and they cost around $250 per week for about 2 months and then every other week. Basset Hounds are considered special breeds and that is why the premium is higher for them. Because of their length they have back problems and are also one of the breeds for lymphoma.

I do not regret one penny we spent on Rosie even though she didn't make it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. If and when we get another Basset I for sure will get pet insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts