Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here uses pet insurance? After having emergency bloat surgery to the tune of about 4K, then some cancer surgery this year, about 1K so far, I am thinking the next dog we might insure....anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sure wish we had done that with Bogie. After torn an ACL, two swallowed rock surgeries, Pit Bull attack injuries, back and neck disc problems, and allergy testing he has been a very expensive Basset, but worth every penny!!! We tried to get insurance after his first rock surgery and we were turned down but several companies. SO if you thinking about it do it while you have a healthy Basset!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, time to buy is when you have a healthy dog. I figure that bassets are prone to lots of potentially expensive vetting. Good they are so darn adorable!

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Have had insurance from the day they came home, at 10 & 11 it's expensive but would not be with out it as prefer the reassurance. Insurance cover is best organised before any problems, as any pre existing problems will not be covered. The other way - if you're strong minded - is to have a separate savings account which is paid into each month for a similar amount, which you only use for large bills.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
dont currently have it HOWEVER, when we registered gracie with the AKC it came with 60 days free insurance.

It did cover her anaphylactic bee sting reaction (about 1/2) the cost.

The premiums to get the really good coverage were cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes!!! Pet insurance is the best. I got it on both my boys when they where puppies. My 2 1/2 year old Roscoe got sick last year and is now a 3k basset. He ate something toxic. The vet guessed a mushroom. The pet insurance paid me back all but my $200 deductible. Be aware you still have to pay the vet up front and the pet insurance pays you back. I have www.gopetplan.com I chose them because I knew several people who had it and they paid for issues. Also the premium does go up every year as they get older.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
We did insure our first hound here in the UK, but fact is as our numbers increased, it rapidly became obvious that to carry insurance wasn't remotely viable. So in theory, I prefer to 'save' on my own Bank account. That doesn't really happen :p. Insurance companies are not in the business for you - they are after your money so for starters, you'll have to check the small print carefully - if they can wriggle out of paying out, they will. Over the years (and I know I'm going to regret writing this!) our vet visits were minimal and fact is if we did hit a bad patch, most of the vets we used over the years knew us and that we'd pay them before we put food on the table, so they let us 'stage pay'.

Once down to our current two (Whippet and Basset) I did take some quotes, and nearly died. Heck I wanted insurance, not to buy the companies - and the Whippet is a relatively trouble-free breed too. So even now, we don't carry insurance. We are, for once in our lives, more in a position to swallow big bills too. So my money remains on my Bank account.

Others will prefer to take insurance!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our old girls have too many problems to insure....Polly is sick and going in at 9:30 this morning...did x-rays last night & bloodwork, don't know what is wrong. Pain, panting, not eating barely walking. More expense. Dropped a couple of K on Ester in the last couple of weeks with cancer. Vet knows where we live and will stop by on her way in...we are lucky.

I agree if you have an extra 10K to set aside for vet bills you might not need insurance. Luckily our credit card covered the bloat surgery...but it sure would have been nice to see some money back. Bassets are prone to bloat & lots of joint issues, so might be wise to have savings or insurance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
we didnt get round to if quick enough so any problems they can blame on food intolerance they will, shes not insured for this as she had her 1st bout of illness not long after we had her and we had to declare it as a pre-existing condition. Every thing else she is covered for.
We aslo pay £10 a moth for the healthy pet club at our vets, this gives us a few check ups, all vacinations each year, discount on any medication and consultation, free nurse clinics and free nail clipping as and when needed, all flea treatment (monthly) and worming tablets. With the flea lotion and vaccinations alone i think its good value. She has the weils disease vaccine as well as regular ones as we spend a lot of time near the canal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use PetsBest and absolutely love it. I have the accident and illness plan which doesn't cover anything routine like worming, vaccinations, neuter, vet food, etc. but you can add the wellness plan on top of this if you want that stuff covered. You can choose a deductible and and what % of cost you want covered (ie. I chose 90%) and depending on what you choose, that makes your premium go up or down. The claims are easy (you can upload the vet invoice right on the web site) and I get paid by direct deposit a couple days later. An explanation of every single thing they covered or didn't cover is sent back very clearly in an email. This insurance has saved me sooooo much money on Gordon's "un-diagnosed GI issues" which initially weren't covered to rule out parasites, etc. but after that xrays, bloodwork, urine samples were all covered. The premium paid for itself and then some very quickly.

Another thing that's nice about insurance is that I find myself making medical decisions that are best for my dog's health and not necessarily what's best for my bank account (since I know the insurance will cover it).

That being said if you have multiple animals it becomes difficult to afford insurance for all of them (i have 4 cats none of which are insured).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Monica...you hit a nail on the head "making medical decisions in the interest of your dog"....not your finances. The bloat surgery was a real eye opener...we had to agree to financial matters before they would operate. Hit us hard, but we are so glad we did. Next dog we get for sure will be insured. Polly is recovering from pancreatitis now, and Ester is due to have her staples out after cancer surgery tomorrow....BIG Ouch for our pocketbook. Never want to face putting a dog down because I can't afford to help it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We built a website called Breezy where we get quotes from all major pet insurance providers for you to compare on one page!

https://sobreezy.com/

1. We don't ask for emails or phone numbers, so no spams.
2. We show you the quotes from different providers on one page for you to compare.
3. We ask for your preference. For example, if you're looking for a cheaper quote, we'll only show you the cheapest quotes from each insurance provider.
4. We have a calculator on our website so you know how much you'll be covered under each policy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts