Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in a long time. (Work and life got in the way) Anyway, my husband and I are considering taking our bassets on vacation this spring or summer. We were thinking of some place in the Poconos but are open to suggestions. Anyone have recommendations???

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You can try google it. You might find lots of websites that will give you tips where/what.

When traveling with your pets, remember to bring their favorite toys, medicine and water.
Some dogs will react to water from new places, so just to be safe.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I've seen some places online, but I would love some recommendations on accomodations from people who have taken their pets on vacation.

[ April 05, 2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: WINSTON MOM ]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/g...des/us/us.shtml

This site has helped us to find pet friendly accomodations all over the country. We always take our dogs with us when we travel inside the US and Canada. The best tips I can offer are: 1. Keep the dogs on their schedule for eating,potty, walks, etc. while you're on the road. 2. Have their vet records with you, and ID on the dogs at all times. 3.If they're bell trained for potty, bring their bell for motel doors. 4.Bring plenty of water along in the car(Lina is right about change of water, do it gradually) and offer it at rest stops. And 5. Have fun!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Murraysmom! If you don't mind me asking, can you share the names of some places you've stayed in the U.S. and Canada.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Almost all La Quinta Inn and Suites accept pets. They're clean, safe, and inexpensive. They also have a frequent stayer plan. Even when I travel for business, I still stay at La Quintas, because I like to support their pet-friendly policy. :)

A

·
0 Posts
Good tip about vet records. My daughter, Sabian, and I were in North Carolina doing college interviews when she got sick and had to be hospitalized. I wasn't smart and had no immunization records with me. What a mess! Now I keep a copy in my glove compartment. yvonne

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Betsy is right about La Quinta. Also, Motel 6 and Motel 8's accept pets. They are all over the place and are reliable, inexpensive accomodations while you're on the road. As far as destination vacation places, I start by googling the Chamber of Commerce in the area where we will be staying. They have lists of realtors who rent cottages- I go online and look at pictures and descriptions of what they have to offer. We usually come up with several possibilities in our price range. Then I call and talk to the rental agents about individual properties.We've had really good luck doing it this way, although 2 years ago the 'rustic' log cottage we rented while attending a week long conference in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine, was REALLY rustic- it was 45 outside the first week in June and 35 inside- we made Murray sleep in the feather bed with us at night for the extra warmth! A note about restaurants- we are usually able to find places in the summer with patio seating that allow dogs.Murray is remembered from year to year by the waitresses at Clair's Vegetarian Restaurant in New Haven, Ct.- and honestly, we have encounterd nothing but kindness and a willingness to accomodate us when we travel with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts