Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with pemhpigus foliacius (spelling is probably not correct)? Lightning had a sore on his nose that wasn't healing, so I had the vet check it out. He thinks it is pemphigus. He biopsied the spot today. I won't get the results until next week. I've read up on this condition, and it sounds like if you catch it early, and the cure doesn't kill the dog, the outlook is good. So I'm hoping that that's all it is and that Lightning reacts well to the meds.

People--I don't want to be alarmist, but it seems that sores on noses never turn out well. So if your dog has one, keep an eye on it and take your pooch to the vet if it doesn't clear up or if it recurs.

Lightning is still very woozy from the tranquilizer. Sadly my camera's battery is dead.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
the cure doesn't kill the dog, the outlook is good

topical or oral steriods are not typically Killers Oral steriods can have some nasty side effect but they ussual do not show up until prolonged use. But the mode of operation as with any autoimmune disease is to shut/slow down the immune system Wich does make the dog more prone to infections

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I lost my cat last December after a sore on his nose turned out to be something much worse. :-(

Happy, healing thoughts and drool for Lightning!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I lost my cat last December after a sore on his nose turned out to be something much worse. :-(

Happy, healing thoughts and drool for Lightning!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the results of the biopsy--it is lupus. So I'll touch base with Murray's mom to see how he's doing. I'm actually relieved it's not pemphigus, since the thought of having him on prednisone for long periods did not sound promising at his age. Luckily, I'd seen the post about Murray and was sure to ask the vet about the sore on his nose, so we caught it very early. Hurray for Basset.net!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
what's the cure?
no cure it is an auto immune disease but in this case sunlight uv ray make the nose sensitive to breaking down.

Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE)
Oftentimes the only treatment needed is to keep the dog out of a lot of sunlight, or at least out of sunlight during the middle of the day. Sunscreens without zinc oxide can help. Of course, dogs may want to lick the sunscreen off, so keep an eye on the dog when you use it. Use sunscreen made for dogs, because the sunscreens made for people contain ingredients (particularly zinc oxide) that are poisonous if ingested. Topical corticosteroids can be used if needed. Severe cases may require the use of oral corticosteroids, such as prednisone, or immunosuppressive medications such as azathioprine. Oral vitamin E and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can help, but several months of treatment are needed with those supplements before any effect can be seen.

Like SLE, treatment is life long, although DLE can have a long remission time during which sores don’t occur. Unlike SLE, DLE is not potentially fatal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts