Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My little one Lily ( almost 4 months) is getting good with housetraining however,
every time I go let her out of her crate ( even after a couple of hours ) she pees on the spot before I can get her outside. She also pees when she meets new people and she's excited to be getting their attention- she will roll on her back and then pee on herself. (note she only pees a very small amount at these times)

I need some advice on how to correct this. It's hard to discipline her when i know she's just over excited and doesn't really notice what she's doing wrong.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there something i can do to break the habit or is it something she will just grow out of eventually?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this? Is there something i can do to break the habit or is it something she will just grow out of eventually?

Check with your vet to see if it's something he thinks she'll outgrow. IF it's due to weak muscles, there's couple of inexpensive medications that work very well to control it. Disciplining her won't help, and may make it worse, if it's submissive urination.

Thanks a bunch![/quote]

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is a very common problem in dogs, eventually most will outgrow it. Don't discipline your dog for doing it because it will only make it worse. The best thing to do is just ignore it. To help minimize the piddling, when you are taking out her out of the crate, don't make a fuss or even say anything to her, just pick her up and carry her outside then give her a big hug, greeting or whatever it is you do or say when you go to get her from the crate. When people come over have them ignore her for the first 10 or 15 minutes to get her used to them being around. Other than that there's not much you can do.

Digital Paint Pet Portraits
http://dogshop.50webs.com

·
Registered
284 Posts
its normal. dont worry about it.

Snoopy done it when ever we left her for an hour or two. only to my partner though. he used to be as excited to see her and she was to him which didnt help matters as he'd get her all excited!! she did it until she was well over a year old and one day it just stopped.

ignoring her for the first five minutes might help alot especaily for guests (as it can be quite embarrasing when they do it infront of them cant it!) Snoopy only used to do it around males - she's a total flirt!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Our boxer would do that. We called it the "happy sprinkles". We just tried to stay calm upon arrival at home, and ushered him outside immediately. (He had free roam of the house) Not making a big deal about it is important. He grew out of it.

Maybe you could put some newspapers or old towels right in front of the crate before you let her out. I agree with saving the excitement until after she's been out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jackie was bad about the excitement wetting and she did eventually outgrow it at about nine months of age. Hang in there and take everyone's advice about not making it a big deal when you arrive home. I also keep a roll of paper towels on top of Jackie's crate for easy clean-up. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts