Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has taken to peeing in the house. It is generally in one of two areas of the house, the base of the stairs in the hallway and on the rug in front of the doggy door. He has even done it up stairs in the living room and also the kitchen, though not as often. He has access to the outside all day. There have been no changes in the house I can think of that would be upsetting. And aside from taking thyroid medication he is a very healthy 8 year old boy. Also can anyone recommend a good cleaner to get rid of the pee smell? The smell was overwhelming as I walked in the door tonight.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Kimberly,
In my experience any lapse in housetraining, except for that which can be attributed to steroid use, in a previously housetrained dog has always been a medical issue such as cystistis or a prostate infection. So I'd suggest a trip to your vets to rule out physical causes before trying to figure out a less likely sudden behavioral/environmental reason.
Let us know what you find out.
Barb

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Nature's Miracle is the best thing I've found for getting out the smell. If you're desperate, white vinegar works, too, but I've found I have to use something else (usually Nature's Miracle) to get out the smell completely, even after using vinegar.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buddy went downstairs today and I followed him. By the time I got there he had peed in the track to the sliding door. Luckily none spilled inside. He'll be going to the vet next week to get checked and I'm hoping if something is wrong it'll be easily treated. I also have a large bottle of Natures Miracle on hand now and have some cleaning ahead of me. Thanks for the suggestion Biscuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts