Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you did not buy your basset from a breeder (we did not), how do you find out hte pedigre information? We have a list of Molly's family information, but I want to see pictures. The litter she was from is supposidly registered with the ACA, but it hasn't gotten my anywhere.

Anyone have experience with this?

[ January 16, 2006, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you have the family information you might could do an internet search. I don't know about the ACA- but would they be able to get you the pedigree info? You migh contact them and see what suggestions they have-

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You can order a pedigree from the ACA website at American Canine Association, Inc. Click on "registration forms" to the left of page. Then click on "Individual or hobby breeder" and you will come to page with various forms including pedigree request form. You will need to know registered names and/or reg numbers of the parents which should be on the litter registration form filled out by the breeder. Unless you have that information I think you're out of luck. If the parents were also AKC registered send me their registered names and I will do a search. As far as pictures go, you can contact the breeder or see if there they have a webpage.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if her parents were AKC registered.. Would you mind doing a search?

Here is the info:

Sire: Buck-Wheat Smith (his parents are Skyview's Henry Hare Chaser, and skyviews sandy suprise)

Dam - Reggie Magoo (her parents are Rico Suave and Molly Suave).

I also have the name of the breeder, although I haven't been able to pull up anything on him. Warren Rebardie

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
AKC Registrations
Buck-Wheat Smith Basset Hound / Black Brown & White Male / MAY-10-1995 /Male / HM57184801
None of the dogs listed on the Sire side earned any points toward a chamionship or legs/titles in performance events in the akc

Dam not akc registered nor are her sire and dam

ACA has no provision to check pedigrees online and it does not appear it provides a 4 or 5 generation pedigree or and option to buy a pedigree upon registration.
"When you register your dog with the ACA, you will receive a Certificate of Ownership, which proudly displays your dog’s information: such as name, color, parents name and registration number, etc. This certificate is as attractive as it is large. The 8 1/2” by 11” certificate is suitable for framing—certainly many happy dog owners do just that!"

The closest name I could find in the AKC for the dam "Suave's Desire" Basset Hound / BLACK TAN & WHITE Female / MAR-11-1980 HC699171

it would be a streach to think this dog is in her lineage.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
ACA is one of several bogus registries used by disreputable breeders to dupe uninformed buyers into thinking they're buying something similar to an AKC-registered puppy. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm just curious. This is how we got our two. Was our experience unique?

The breeder we used is both AKC and ACA registered. In our case the SIRE is AKC and the DAM is ACA. They were clear about their expectations for care, returing the pups if we couldn't keep them, health, bill of sale etc. They also asked us to spay/neuter, which of course we did - that appeared to be important to them. We saw the papers on both parents and saw the parents as they were on site.

We were aware that the ACA was a resource for pet owners that offered lost & found service, vet info, a genetics database, basic breed info etc. I guess we weren't dissapointed because we didn't expect or pay for AKC pups.

The pups are pretty healthy except for allergies.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Skyview's Henry Hare Chaser
sire-Quarylane Babblin' Joe
dam-Skyview's Spitfire Kelly

Skyview Sandy Surprise
sire-Jay's Snoopin Joe
dam-Lizzies Sad Sarah

Warren Rebardie
K-Jen Kennels
7048 Co Rd 9180
West Plains, MO 65775

The above is all I can find MissMolly.

You might be interested in purchasing a pedigree from AKC if one is avaiable. I got one on my Hillary who I adopted from some people who bought her at a petstore. I was surprised to find some well known Champions a few generations back. Puppymillers sometimes get ahold of a show dog, usually by devious means. I know of a case where a breeder just sold a dog(not bassets) to someone and later found out the guy, was a puppymill owner and a well known politician. They spent a fortune to get that dog back.

I think with the new DNA testing requirements you are going to see an increase in other registries because the BYB's and Puppymillers don't want to pay the AKC fees.

[ January 16, 2006, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
"We were aware that the ACA was a resource for pet owners that offered lost & found service, vet info, a genetics database, basic breed info etc."

if you look at the info ACA collects and when (the dog is still a puppy) it is pretty much useless. THere is no method mentioned about obtaining follow up info. Even though not as widely promoted the the inclusion of OFA and Cerf certification on AKC pedigrees is a much stronger commitment to health registration than anything offered by ACA. Oh by the way AKC also has a lost dog program AK CAR which uses microchip which is far more secure than a tag.

It is not that other registries are necesarily bad, but more the reason they exist and the people who use them.

1. They are cheaper for the breeder

2. Not as much read tape insuring the off spring are what they say they are and who the parents are.

3. No inspections of kennels and facilities.

The reason the new upstart registries exist is to provide to an unwarry consumer appearance of asurances of a pure bread dog that the AKC registration does without any of the actual assurances. And for the pet owner these registries do not provide nearly venues to play with their dog in. Nor do the support the money or research into dog health the AKC does through AKC Canine Health Foundation Nor the money and clout to fight against and for reasonable legislation efforts.

[ January 17, 2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wondered about the differences between the registries. I've heard good and bad about all of them - mostly good about AKC. I really like the idea that they work toward good breeding, health and kennel oversight.

We love Bassets - our first was a rescue and we would do rescue again in the future I think. The pups are two and half now but boy were they handful!

Thanks for the info Toughy! You always provide great insight and it really is helpful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just out of curiousity, the pedigree that you can purchase from AKC, how far back does it go?. The ones that I got with the registration go back 3 generations and I would be interested in going back farther but have no experience in doing that research. To go farther than that are studbooks the only answer?

CTG

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have made pedigrees for many basset owners here on Cyberhound and elsewhere, since I have a database with about 35.000 bassets. I've been able to track several of them back to the first known French bassets in England.

But I need to know some generations back, in order to hit some of the dogs I have in the registry.

I have Skyviews, Lizzie's and Jay's - but not those above.

If I can help, just let me know.

A

·
0 Posts
Ok, I am curious. We got Mollie from a breeder but I'm pretty sure it was a puppymill really. The conditions were awful! Her litter was AKC registered, so could I contact the AKC and report these people then? I called Animal Control on them, but nothing was done. It is crazy what people do for a dollar these days.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Mollie and Maggie:
It is crazy what people do for a dollar these days.
AKC has no legal authority to cite these people; all they can do is suspend and/or fine them. Then, they'll just start using one of the bogus registries.

As long as consumers continue to purchase their product, puppies, they will have no incentive to change what they're doing.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Lancaster County, Pa. where I live is a hotbed of puppymills.Almost all of them sell AKC puppies. There have been battles for years trying to shut these places down,a No Puppy Mill organization that actively lobbies locally and in Harrisburg, to no avail. So I doubt Animal Control will do much, or the AKC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts