Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Jackie was diagnosed today with Patellar Luxation. I took her to the vet this morning because I had noticed she was limping and her gait was not normal last night. The vet could move Jackie's knee-cap (Patella) a good inch and a half outward from its normal position. Obliviously, that is not good news. Surgery is definitely in her future. Since she is so young (only 14 months old), the vet wants to wait as long as possible before surgery. She is on crate rest for two weeks and 325mg asprin twice a day for a week. The vet is concerned that her other knee will eventually need surgery as well because it already has some laxity.

Does anyone have any experience with Patellar Luxation? I called my VPI pet insurance agency and they said that it is a inherited disease and they won't cover it. :( The vet said the surgery will run about $1500...which means I need to start saving up for it now. My poor baby...I hope that the rest and asprin will be enough to hold off surgery for now. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daisy

Oh and I forgot to mention, I emailed the breeder...hopefully she will respond with some advice.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
My first basset puppy, Bugsie, had surgery for patellar luxation when she was about 18 months old, if I remember correctly. She recovered well and was able to pursue a long and active obedience career. :) She did spend the first part of it sitting with her left rear leg stuck straight out to the side, though. :lol:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am not a vet, nor a vet tech, but it seems to me that any time a basset is brought to the vet's office with a limp, patellar luxation is the diagnosis. It reminds me of when any person went to the doctor and was diagnosed with TMJ. Aren't patella's meant to move around a bit? Unless this is a longtime vet who you trust completely, I'd (A) wait to see if her limp resolves on its own and/or (B) get a second opinion (don't mention the first diagnosis). I may be very jaded and misinformed, but when I hear someone say "Patellar luxation", I wonder if the vet doesn't need a new car or braces on their kid's teeth. Of course if she was doing obedience or some other physically demanding sport, that would be a different story.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
it seems to me that any time a basset is brought to the vet's office with a limp, patellar luxation is the diagnosis.<snip>I may be very jaded and misinformed, but when I hear someone say "Patellar luxation", I wonder if the vet doesn't need a new car or braces on their kid's teeth.[/b]
There might be something to this...usually, these dogs don't "limp"; when the patella is out of position, they characteristically refuse to use the leg at all. Once the patella pops back into position, they use the leg normally.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Betsy and Lightning & Stomps,

Now that I know what to look for, Jackie does refuse to use her leg when her patella is popped out and she does a weird jerking motion to pop-it back into place? She will not use the leg and then make the jerking motion and then put a little weight on the foot. When she sits or lays down, that leg is stuck completely out to the side. I am going to continue the rest and aspirin as perscribed but if she is not significantly improved after two weeks, I will take her to another vet for a 2nd opinion. I have been with my vet for years and I have every reason to have complete faith in him but I just think it would not be smart to pay for a very expensive surgery before I know for sure that is the correct choice for Jackie.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
she does a weird jerking motion to pop-it back into place?[/b]
Bugsie used to kind of kick her leg to the rear to pop the patella back into place. Then she would use the leg with no problem, until the patella moved out of position again. She started sitting with her leg straight out, after the surgery--it might have been stiff from surgery. Eventually, though, she was able to tuck it under. This post-op stiffness didn't bother her in her everyday activities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts