Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wtap. com/home/ headlines/ 27316789. html
A Parkersburg Humane Society official says they've seized over a thousand dogs from Whispering Oaks Kennel in Wood County.
She couldn't give us the address but says the owner surrendered the animals to the Humane Society of Parkersburg Saturday morning. She would not release the owner's name.
They've been working with officials from the Humane Society of the United States, Best Friends Animal Rescue, and the Wood County Sheriff's Office to retrieve the dogs.
We will bring you more details as we receive them on our web channel and tonight on WTAP

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
From an update,
Officials estimate there are 1000 dogs total that need to be seized but a final count is expected to be done Sunday.

By Sunday, they expect to have all the dogs at a warehouse that's set up as an emergency shelter near the Humane Society's building on 29th and Poplar Streets.

Wood County Prosecutor Ginny Conley said at 8:30 a.m. Saturday morning, Wood County Sheriff deputies served a search warrant at the Whispering Oaks Kennel.

"What turned out to be a thousand animals on that property," said Wood County Prosecutor Ginny Conley

According to the kennel's Web site, Sharon Roberts is the owner.

Conley did not name the owner but said the owner was fully cooperative in handing over the dogs. Wood County Deputy Robert Sims said she wanted to reduce the number of animals in her care.

"These dogs were housed in kennels like a rabbit cage, off the ground they were standing in wire," said Carrie Roe, president of the Humane Society of Parkersburg Board of Directors.

They were reportedly in very small housing with multiple animals together.

"The smell of the feces, the urine, the ammonia, building up in the building, I'd say was unhealthy," said Wood Co. Sheriff Deputy Robert Sims.

He says they're waiting on testing results of this.

"Overall the general condition of the animals were in fair condition," he said.

"A lot of these puppies and animals have never been touched, they've never been on the ground, so they're not like your normal animal," Roe said.

Roe says this is where their issues will be- learning how to adjust to people.

"It's not going to be something we can resolve in a few days, it's going to take some time," she said.[/b]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update, Betsy. I believe I read that if the owner is convicted of animal cruelty that he/she cannot operate any type of kennel again.

I sure hope this person is never allowed to let this happen again.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thanks to both of you for posting this article and update.

Nothing will change with the puppymill industry in this country until people become aware of how horribly the dogs suffer in these places, and demand an end to it. And people need to understand that when they buy a pet store puppy, they are most likely perpetuating the system- the pet store is the engine that drives the puppymill train.

I hope folks who read about these places here will pass the information along to friends-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts