Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my fosters was just diasnosed with pano so I did a google search to see if there's anything new on the web about it.

I came across an article (couldn't find a date) that suggested pano could be caused by the lv distemper vaccine. It said that further reasearch was needed - but I didn't find any follow up.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That is a new one for me. Pano is usually not a long term problem,the lameness is kept under control by limiting the dog's excercise,and,sometimes pain medication. I have had litters where no puppies have developed pano and litters where several puppies have pano. The longest was a puppy that developed pano at 4 months and had it for 10 months. Puppies can get pano as early as 4-6 months and as late as 12 to 18 months. Just curb the activity. This breed because of its heavy bone and fast growth can add to the developement of pano so can feeding puppy food with a high concentration of protein.I've not heard of any vaccinations being the cause,yet.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think it's more common in Bassets up to about 18 months of age and I sometimes wonder if people who walk their Basset pups for longer than a few minutes when they're young, before their heavy joints/plates have knitted together help to cause this problem.

My vet and Basset breeder friends tell people not to walk their pups for more than a few minutes when they're young and no longish wal;ks until they are 10 - 12 months old. I always have adhered to this, plus always keep my hounds off the stairs and have not had any problems for many years and neither did my parents who always had Bassets.

Edit: Someone mentioned vaccinations and I think that once pups had the jab and booster, any more vaccinations, especially every one or two years, probably causes problems/allergies etc because I'm sure that since we don't innoculate our children every year or two, why pump all these chemicals into our dogs? It just lines the vets' pockets!!!! I read a book about it and questioned my vet who admitted that some vaccinations 'maybe' last a lifetime and most at least three to seven years... yet some vets continually try to tell us to get our dogs done every year/two years! My parents never used to have theirs done past the puppy stage and having rescued a lot of Bassets over the years, they never had dogs dying from cancer and other problems at young ages, all our family Bassets died of old age and lived very healthy lives.... but I suppose this is for another topic!!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being a rescue I don't know her background. She's about 6 months - a "good" age for pano and doubt she had any vaccinations. But I could be wrong.

The article interested me and I was sorry there was no follow up.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
if people who walk their Basset pups for longer than a few minutes when they're young, before their heavy joints/plates have knitted together help to cause this problem.
Pano is not a desease of the joints. There is no reason to suspect exercise as a cause. As a mattter of fact mild load bearing exercise is though to be very benefital to on of the if not the most common orthopead condition in basset Hip dysplasia.

from foster and smiths peteducation web site
theory. Another interesting twist to the viral theory is that panosteitis was first identified as a problem at the same time that modified live distemper vaccines became widely available on the market. Since wild distemper virus can be isolated from bone tissue, some researchers feel that there might be a link between distemper virus vaccine and panosteitis, however, more research in this area will need to be done before any serious speculations can be made. theory. Another interesting twist to the viral theory is that panosteitis was first identified as a problem at the same time that modified live distemper vaccines became widely available on the market. Since wild distemper virus can be isolated from bone tissue, some researchers feel that there might be a link between distemper virus vaccine and panosteitis, however, more research in this area will need to be done before any serious speculations can be made.
This is the same theory for the disproved but still persitent thought that Autisim is linked to vaccinations. Any evidence is exceedingly weak
PANOSTEITIS by Fred Lanting

Whenever vaccines, flea powders, worm medicine, diet, and other environmental factors have been implicated, rechecking has found that the only common denominator was physiological stress

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mikey! That was the article I read. The info my Lanting is very good. Answers a whole lot of questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts