Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a dog (not a basset) that was recently diagnosed through a blood test as having pancreatitis. Does anyone on here have a dog that had that? What did you feed your dog? My friend is having a really hard time getting the prescription-only dog food her vet recommended. And knowing how vets like to prescribe food that only they sell, I thought there might be more convenient alternatives.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
If I were your friend, I would talk with the vet, explain the problem with the prescription food, and ask for advice on what options are available. If your friend is thinking of a homemade diet, the vet should be able to give some guidlines on what to include and what not to include.

We had a dachshund many years ago with chronic intestinal issues, and she wouldn't touch the prescription stuff- I ended up cooking for her.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Scully had a bout with pancreatitis / gastroenteritis after a kennel stay last year. She had to be hospitalized for a couple days, and when we brought her home, we opted to feed her cooked food rather than the prescription stuff. Our vetlady had told us we should feed her several small portions a day of boiled chicken and rice, (with egg too, but we skipped the egg part).

We did that for a little while and it seemed to work ok for her at the time. Ever since that illness though, her tummy has been SO sensitive!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our old basset, Nestor, had a bout of pancreatitis. He was in horrible pain and spent 3 nights at the vet's with an i.v. - the whole works. He did miraculously recover. We fed him chicken, green beans and rice for quite a while. He only lived for a year after that (he died of bone cancer - tumor on his spine) but for that year we were VERY careful not to feed him food that contained fat. Poor guy rarely even got cheese after that!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, thank God Francis has never had pancreatitis but I'm a nurse and I've taken care of quite a few humans with the rotten disease and I'm sure many of the guidelines are similar.
1) Small meals every 2-3 hours (and I mean SMALL)
2) Low fat, low cholesterol, high protein. (chicken with rice and green beans or carrots or mild mixed vegetables)
3) No onions, peppers, or any foods that can cause gastric irritations.
4) Tell your friend's dog to knock off the cocktails and cigarettes. ;)
I hope this helps!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts